Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alwaysblue
    • Jan 2003

Transferring video camera movies to pc. and burning to CD/R

Hi, I'm completely new to this aspect of the video world, do I need anything special like a video capture card?? I want to transfer video footage shot with my dad's video camera onto my pc. and then eventually burn the footage onto CD/R at the best quality I can.
    I have windows XP.
    Intel Pentium 1.6 cpu.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

a firewire card will be a good choice if your cam supports that.
    otherwise usb2 might be the way to go.

Comment

• alwaysblue
      • Jan 2003

thank-you for your response, I need a firewire card and connector. I have Pinnacle studio 8 software, is that good enough for what I want to do?

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

Pinnacle should work just fine

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

pinnacle 8 is fine, but pls make sure that your camera supports output via firewire before you buy a firewire card!

Comment

• alwaysblue
            • Jan 2003

The camera has a connection for a cable that plugs into the camera obviously on one end and a firewire connection at the other end, it is not a usb connection. I assume that means it is made to work with a firewire card. I have a recent panasonic model. Let me know if I'm incorrect.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"I assume that means it is made to work with a firewire card."

Read the "specifications" in the documentation that came with the camera - or check at the Panasonic website...

Comment

• atifsh
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2003

better choice would be...

remember u may be mistaken by a svideo output with firewire(IEEE1394) most recent but cheaper models have svideo not firewire.
                also for firewire card dont buy any firewire, for this believe me im using a hardware VCD encoder that gives me far more better vcd quality then any other type of encoding even frm best avi to vcd encoding. i have Snazzi VCD maker try to get a firevire card of Snazzi which also have a hardware VCD/SVCD encoder that will give u excellent quality without AV sync problems.

Simple firewire card on ebay 20 $
                Snazzi firewire under 80$
                Snazzi AV/DV under 200$ (best if u have money) all connections av/svideo/fitewire with hardware encoder.
                Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• alwaysblue
                  • Jan 2003

Hi, it says it has i.LINKTM(IEEE 1394 PC Interface), at my local future shop store they have a boxed firewire card with cable by Pinnacle for about 100.00 bucks, would this be worth it???

Comment

Working...