X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cobrauk
    • Jun 2003

size of dvd-r's ???????

Hi all , this is my first post to this forum so here goe's

i am new to dvd burning, only a few weeks,I have a nec nd-1300 and I have burn several dvd's , but have come a cross a tricky one,I burn to dvd-rw first and then check the dvd ,if its all right i burn to dvd-r's, i burned a dvd-rw and it's fine,but i then tried to burn to dvd-r and all the progs i have tried ,have told me the dvd-r was'nt big enough ,i checked the first dvd-rw and it was 4,5gb,i then checked my dvd-r 4x and its said it was o4.3gb , whats going on , anyone had this prob ?

i must admit i did burn the dvd-rw as a iso image,and i have since the above burned the same iso image to a blank dvd-r with no prob can't make this out
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

You know that the 4.7GB advertized size of a DVD is not accurate...due to the different methods of calculating gigabytes the actual amount of info you can get on a disc is somewhere around 4.38GB. That said, a lot of what can be put on a disc depends on the Authoring software used. MyDVD (which automatically builds menus for you) often refuses to burn if my files are over 4GB...but I just had TMPGenc DVD Author convert the audio from LPCM to MP2 on a 5.5GB file (which reduced the size to 4.38 exactly) and had Nero burn it to disc. If the audio conversion trick hadn't worked I intended to have TMPGenc DVD Author build the IFO, BUP, and VOB files anyway so I could import them into DVDShrink and shrink them to level 2 to get the large file to fit...but it wasn't neccessary in this case (I've done that with others, however.)

Comment

Working...