Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kno
    • Jul 2003

subtitles?

How can I make a DVD with subtitles, if I have movie in DivX format?
    What software do I need?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If the .AVI does NOT already contain permanent subtitles, but you have the required subtitle file, you'll first have to use VirtualDub, together with the VobSub plugin/filter, to create an .AVI file with permanent subtitles.

If the .AVI already contains permanent subtitles:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" v.1.5.11.37 (a different program than "TMPGEnc) to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish). If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode

Let us know of your success ;>}
    Last edited by setarip; 22 Jul 2003, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• kno
      • Jul 2003

Thanks, but can I have some more help with this Virtual dub thing. FIrst, I load an avi file, but where do I add subtitles??

Comment

• t3ch
        H4x0r of Gibsons
        • Mar 2003

What kind of subs are they? I use the TextSub 2.23 plugin to add my srt subs.

If you've been using VobSub to make your subs, during the install you should have specified where your Vdub dir was, which installs the vdub plugin for .subs.

Video -> Filters -> Add
        OGSTH! my webpage
        ----------------------------
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.

Comment

• kno
          • Jul 2003

OK, I managed to add subs, but when I do a preview with filters, or when I save it as .avi, I have audio desync? Help?

Comment

• t3ch
            H4x0r of Gibsons
            • Mar 2003

That's awkward, adding subs shouldn't de-sync the audio (or maybe you're just saying you've had it the whole time).

What kind of desync'ing is it? Does it progessively get farther off, is it a few seconds off, etc?
            `
            OGSTH! my webpage
            ----------------------------
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.

Comment

• shiny#3
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Jul 2003

the problem is
              does the video file have more frames
              or another runningtime as before
              so is it at as long as before??
              not containing more frames after including the subtitles?
              if not demux the audio to
              real wav ( not only rewriting header)
              and encode it using Fitcd avisynth
              and cinema craft encoder to
              convert it to a dvd compliant mpeg 2 file!

Comment

• kno
                • Jul 2003

OK, so I solved a problem with desync, but what happens now? My video file with attached subtitles, from Virtual dub intends to be 80 Gigabytes? Is it normal, or do I have to use some codec to compress it before i use TMpegenc to convert it into MPG file?

Comment

• ChristianHJW
                  matroska project member
                  • May 2003

Use a lossless codec like HuffYuv for this interims file, it will reduce size of the original uncompressed file size significantly, but not add any quality loss like other ( lossy ) codecs will .... but, if you have enough HDD space you dont have to do that, simply open the AVI with the uncompressed video in TMPEGencoder and start encoding into MPEG2 ( SVCD/DVD ) or MPEG1 ( VCD )...
                  Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

Working...