Correction My encoded divx clip is a dat file?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lingoguysw5
    • Jun 2003

Correction My encoded divx clip is a dat file?

Sorry I made a mistake in my last thread by saying my mpeg video clip when only the audio is video. The file itself is a divx 5 video clip saved as an avi file and encoded on tmpgenc. Do forgive me only once submitted I suppose it's then too late isn't it a bit like sending an email.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"only the audio is video"

????????

Perhaps you can try stating your question again - in different words...

Comment

• shiny#3
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jul 2003

ah I guess I got you!!! still have problems???

Comment

• lingoguysw5
        • Jun 2003

Encoded divx v/clip shows as file to burn

Yes it guyz it truly was me tired as usual and not making much sense to the extent whereby I couldn't even understand myself jajaja.

Anyway I had a divx/video clip which once TMPGenc encoded, came out as a FILE instead as showing as a video clip ICON.
        The good news was it still burned ok with nero but why should it not show as a media file. To retrieve it I had to go to All files

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"but why should it not show as a media file."

That all depends on what extender you used in its name (.MPG, .AVI, .MOV will typically show up with a media icon - .DAT will not - even though the file may be a playable video)

Comment

• lingoguysw5
            • Jun 2003

My video clip had the avi suffix but still encoded as a dat file

[QUOTE]Originally posted by setarip
            "but why should it not show as a media file."

That all depends on what extender you used in its name (.MPG, .AVI, .MOV will typically show up with a media icon - .DAT will not - even though the file may be a playable video)
            [/QUOTE
            #
            I didn't allocate a extender to the file but only saved it as an avi with virtualdub after I did the split. The suffix before encoding showed as being an AVI I believe, which I would have thought that would have resulted as showing to be a mpeg movie file.] Anyway at the end of the day I was able to encode and burn it with nero so problem solved I reckon. Thanks setrip for your support I know I have been a pain but there is so much to learn, if you know of a book which gives me all the dvdrhelp facts i.e. formats, tools to use, termonolgies please let me know.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"I didn't allocate a extender to the file but only saved it as an avi with virtualdub after I did the split. The suffix before encoding showed as being an AVI I believe, which I would have thought that would have resulted as showing to be a mpeg movie file."

Under VirtualDub, when you selected "Save as" and provided a new name (e.g. "MOVIE2"), if you didn't include an extender of ".AVI" in the new name, your new file was named simply "MOVIE2", without an identifying extender - hence no "video" icon. However, the header information included in the file itself allows a player program to identify the file as an .AVI file and, therefore, play it properly. Add the appropriate extender to each of the files and you'll have your proper associations - including the ability to doubleclick on the file and have (usually) Windows Media Player automatically start playing your video...

"Thanks setrip for your support I know I have been a pain but there is so much to learn"

You've not "been a pain" in any way whatsoever. Everybody has to start a learning curve somewhere - and its always a pleasure to share knowledge with others ;>}
              Last edited by setarip; 3 Aug 2003, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• shiny#3
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jul 2003

sorry for "postscripting" you again, setarip.

just like to enhance a maybe useful tip.

to lingo:

you can check your suffix by rightclicking the file and
                hitting properties.

you can also set your explorer to show all suffixes.
                this will also allow you to edit them by just renaming them.
                but be careful with that. refer to your OS manual on setting up your explorer. (it differs)

you can FORCE virtual dub or almost any application
                to add the suffix you desire, if you set the filename in
                quotation marks.

for example: virtual dub--> File--> save avi as-->
                "terminator.avi" instad of simply using terminator.

Comment

Working...