Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lingoguysw5
    • Jun 2003

Is mpg or ogg better after a split as well

Ta Uncasms. Would u say that mpg or ogg gives better audio even after a split as well as better compression? Up until know I have been encoding avi with tmpgenc and the result hasn't been all that bright.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

it depends what format you're looking forward to.

ogg vorbis as audio codec can only be used for mpeg-4 i.e. avi/ogm, matroska.

of course i would consider ogg the better choice when you're dealing with mpeg-4 formats.

Comment

• lingoguysw5
      • Jun 2003

I wanted to reduce my audio from avi

I was looking into the better option of reducing my audio for my movies from mainly divx movies and then overcoming the problem I've had for weeks about getting the second split synchronised correctly without having to undergo a maths test as one of the Virtualdub guides pointed out. However ogg does not seem like an option for reduction. Thanks anyway

Comment

• shiny#3
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jul 2003

huh???
        ogg is a good choice for reduction.
        but if you don´t like it try mp3 pro.
        (that comes with nero)

Comment

• ChristianHJW
          matroska project member
          • May 2003

For DivX compressed movies, Ogg Vorbis and HE-AAC from Nero6 ( AAC SBR, where SBR is 'Spectral Band Replication', same was used in MP3Pro ) are 1st choice.

Vorbis is wroking fine in matroska already, HE-AAC also, but we will change the way that HE-AAC is stored in MKV files soon, making old files incompatible for the future.

However, HE-AAC is a part of the MP4 specs already, so if you are aiming for future compatibility with hardware players its probably your 1st choice. Biggest advantage of HE-AAC is that there is a high-efficiency 5.1 encoding profile built into Nero6 already, allowing you to store a fully digital 5.1 surround sound in a 128 - 160 kbps audio track. Biggest disadvantage is that its not free, only available encoder is now in Nero6 .....

We were bugging the Xiph guys since long to look into making a good 5.1 encoding profile for Vorbis also, but they couldnt look into that until now, as they had other priorities first ( Ogg Theora, Neuros decoder chip hardware implementation of the Vorbis decoder, etc. ).

After all, both audio compression standards will easily beat every MP3 encoding hands down, even VBR MP3, and especially the lower the bitrate is ....
          Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

Working...