Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcob
    • Aug 2003

MPEG 2 to Divx and Divx back to MPEG 2

I have question. I am converting family videos to MPEG 2 for DVD archival and editing. I would like to compress everything to MPEG 4 (Divx or Xvid) to store the raw files for long term. However, eventually I want to convert back to DVD so that I can send them to various family members for use on a stand alone player.

What software do I need to compress to Divx and then convert back to MPEG 2 for DVD authoring? I have TMPGEnc, but I have not been successful at converting an Xvid or Divx format back to MPEG 2. Help anyone?

JC
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I have TMPGEnc, but I have not been successful at converting an Xvid or Divx format back to MPEG 2."

TMPGEnc is an appropriate tool for accomplishing this.
    What procedures have used?
    What specific problems arise?

Comment

• jcob
      • Aug 2003

I am using version 2.510.49.157, Core Version 1.94.144

I really don't know the procedure. Do you have any suggestions for a procedure? It would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" v.1.5.11.37 (a different program than "TMPGEnc) to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
        (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

Working...