Step by Step: Major Playback Issues(WMP9, XviD, DivX, and Codecs) Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnCrichton

Step by Step: Major Playback Issues(WMP9, XviD, DivX, and Codecs) Please Help!

Alright... I've read FAQ's, your stickies, downloaded a mess of players that won't work for me and codecs that shut down my WMP9 completely.

I've updated players, downloaded players, uninstalled players and I've searched, "Choppy" on the internet a thousand times.

So, I know this is a common problem, so forgive me for asking again.

Starting from Stage 1, I've uninstalled all the crazy codecs that haven't helped yet and uninstalled all the weird vid players that also haven't come through.

So pretending I'm starting from the beginning so that I don't download more than I have to and run into more dead ends I'll as this first:

Why is my Windows Media Player 9 running so choppy all the sudden?

I've read answers to this question before and tried their solutions, but I want to see if maybe I'm not following them correctly or not.

I'm an anime fan and have been watching fansubbed stuff just MORE than fine, up 'til episode 29 of Naruto, where I did infact see [XviD] attached to it.

Episode 30 has XviD also attached to it in the title, but as with all my other files, it played just fine on my Windows Media Player 9.

After lots of tooling, and trying to get 29 to play past choppy, I stumbled across some AVIcodec file, thing. I loaded it up in there, double clicked and it played perfectly for the first time.

The problem now is that WMP9 plays everything else choppy now.

To fix this problem... where should I start?

In advance, thank you for all your help.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Used FFDShow (playback filter) and BSPlayer (player) yet?

Comment

• JohnCrichton

Pretty sure yeah.... I'll give it another shot, just to let you guys know what's happening when I do that.

Just a sec.

Comment

• JohnCrichton

Is this BSPlayer free?

This is the one I'm currently downloading and installing.... BSPlayer version 0.86.499 Installer

Comment

• JohnCrichton

Okay, I remeber now.

First problem with my BSPlayer.... picture's not choppy, but it's not keeping up with the sound.

So that the sound ends up getting ahead of what's on the screen, this seen most clearly that lines are being said before the subtitles get to it.

Second problem with this BSPlayer... now that I've closed it, then tried to open it and play a video the second time I get an Erro Message "Can't Create DirectDraw surface!"

This is with a file that I'm pretty sure is an XviD file.

With other files it says, "bplay.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program."

This is after trying to play an MPEG. It played fine, then when I tried to stop it and find the Control Panel to select a different movie, this happened.

When trying to play an AVI(I think...) it gives me a box stating that "Overlay failed."

The player collapses alot as well, whenever I try anything but just playing the video. It'll play, but if I try to fast forward or stop it.. it collapses, gives me an error message I don't have enough time to jot down and then gives me the "bplay.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program." message

Going for this FFDShow (playback filter) to see if this'll smooth things out....

Comment

• JohnCrichton

Razzafrazin'... in a way I was hoping this would happen.

You know when you've done one thing before, then you go to tech support and they tell you to do the same thing and then it works.

Well, that's what's happened now.

It's playing fine now... I'm going to click around to see if this player works fine for all my other stuff.

Only frustrating thing about this BSPlayer is that the control bar seems to like to disappear and not come back and I can fine a way to fast forward by pulling a bar across a line or anything.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep ya updated to whatever other probs I run into.

Comment

• shiny#3
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Jul 2003

I would add that you try to get rid of the vobsub and morgan streamswitcher filter if you have it installed....BS player and the
              very good MV2 player can do without that!!!

it really seems that you are experiencing some codec conflict problems.

so I would advise to kill your codecs you have installed....
              then get the tsunami filter and codec pack (mini version) 3.9.6
              ... it is available here....

there is also the big tsunami filterpack (version 3.9.9) available.... but if you use this install only in custom setup mode and leave the selection set to default.

with the filterpack comes a reclocking device ... that is able to
              fix some minor schynchproblems automatically....

in general I have to say... the less codecs and differnet versions of them you have installed the lesser problems you meet in playback.

In my opinion the only codecs you need for playback
              is the tsunami filterpack 3.9.6
              and for encoding....the divx pro , or the xvid, and a good mp3 or oggvorbis encoder....

Comment

• JohnCrichton

This BSPlayer seems to play everything just prime.

Finding the control bar's a bit of a hassle, but it can be done.

Only unfortunate fallout is that one of these things seems to've jacked my WMP9, so that it doesn't play some things, conks out and want to send a message to Microsoft.

Which I guess isn't a big deal, since I won't be needing it apparently.

Still.... I would've rather not had any of my other programs messed with.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

• shiny#3
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Jul 2003

the bs player should not mess up your WMP9

I guess it rather a codec conflict problem you meet......

leave the wmv and avi streams unassociateded to BS player.

if not sure... uninstall and try the MV2 player!!

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Good to see things are working out for you, JohnCrichton.

On the other hand, I really don't consider WMP8/9 to be that great. The older and simpler WMP 6.4 works better and faster, on most counts. BSPlayer and the afore-mentioned MV2 players are excellent players as well.

p.s. Did you know you can change the skin of BSPlayer? Find one skin that allows you easier access to the control bar.

Comment

• JohnCrichton

And you know how when you're with tech support and then it works, and then later for no reason it stops working.

Well, that's what's happened to me.

I get a jibberish filled error message now when I try to play files.

Lemme know what other information you might need....

Comment

• JohnCrichton

One message I can catch says, "Overlay failed!"

Comment

• WildmanJoe
                          • Jan 2003

I can't help but wonder whether or not WMP 9 is responsible for all yours woes... stop using that UPS (Useless-Piece of-Software). Try using MV2 Player

You can change overlay and other stuff with this player.

Comment

• JohnCrichton

In the jibberish it says, "Unhandled Exception at EIP" then some numbers....

Comment

• Enchanter
                              Old member
                              • Feb 2002

JohnCrichton,

Try reinstalling DirectX and your video card driver. You should also make sure that no other application is playing any sort of videos when about to play your own video.

Comment

Working...