How do I convert .cam files to .avi files?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zek
    • Jan 2002

How do I convert .cam files to .avi files?

I downloaded a movie from Morpheus and I want to make a DvD but its in .cam format and it needs to be .avi to use TMPGEnc on it to make it DvD. ~Zek~
  • abdul
    • Jan 2002

Cam is used to let you know what kind of quality the movie is
    It should be an avi-file already

Cam means that someone has recorded the movie in the theater with a handCAMera

This is usually a picture with moving people and terrible sound, since the sound was allso taken from wirhin the theater

A quality "above" this one is called a telesync, which is usually done with a more professional camera and sound directly from the source

Furthermore, you are mixing a few things up ............... you will not be able to convert an avi into a dvd

You start with a dvd ............ then rip it ........... then compress it and you will have a (divx).avi. This is a compressed dvd and is very much smaller in size then the dvd

What people do to be able to play it on their DVD standalone player is convert it into a (s)vcd, which is still considerable smaller in size compared to the original dvd. (avi ---> vcd ; you need TMPGEnc)

The mixing up is very understandable because it is all very confusing

If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask

Maybe we can set you on the right track

Comment

• Zek
      • Jan 2002

ok, i have that program TMPGEnc my dvd player doesnt support VCD and at Morpheus.. they said that mine supported something else that could run in my dvd player? do you know what i should do?

Comment

• abdul
        • Jan 2002

If your dvd player doesn't support vcd's then you will not be able to play them ................... period.

What you can do (since you obviously have a computer) is download files with .avi extension

If you install some codecs on you computer then you will be able to play the moviez on your computer with a player like WMPlayer(and if you have TV-out you can also see them on the TV)

If you downloaded mpg files (or .dat files) from Morpheus then you will also be able to watch them om your pc with a player

But from you dvd player you are only able to watch DVD's (bought or rented)

When "they" told you that you could run something else from your dvd player they probebly ment cd's or cd-r's (self-made music cd's)

Comment

• Zek
          • Jan 2002

Well, i'm not exactly sure if it supports them or not can you check for me? i have a Zenith machine number is DVD2201 www.zenith.com i think i dont know where to look to see if VCD works with it...

Comment

• abdul
            • Jan 2002

Disc Playback: DVD-Video, CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3
            your wish is my command

It should say video cd playback in order to watch vcd's............sorry

You can playback mp3's though

Comment

• Zek
              • Jan 2002

thanks, oh well whats a mp3 anyway =) music?

Comment

• abdul
                • Jan 2002

yep

compressed music-file ; like avi is compressed movie-file

Comment

• m3mny
                  • Jan 2010

Hmmm

I am a Linux user. My MSN program allows me log my webcam sessions. It saves each in 2 files. One is a .cam and the other is a .data file.

Any idea how I convert these in to something more usable than things that can only be seen though the history bit of the program that recorded them in the first place.

Comment

Working...