Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NightBlade
    • Sep 2003

video playback problems

When I watch any movie file (except for DVDs) the video appears pixelated. I have a sample of this here, this is not as extreme with divx videos, but it is still noticeable. I have a p4 2.4ghz, asus p4b533vm, asus v9280 and I am using nvidia drivers v45.23. Anyone think they can help me?
  • clmtdtp10
    • Sep 2003

pixelated

it is many reasons,the movie could be bad,which is usually the case or it is the media player u are using.i suggest using the vcl media player whicch is a universal media player and its easy to use and is high quality.

good luck

Comment

• NightBlade
      • Sep 2003

the media is not bad. These are official quicktime trailers and divx movies that look fine on my other computer, and I have installed xp twice with the same results. Anyone know of a program that can smooth video in realtime during playback?

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
        • Sep 2003

what player are you using to play these and what decoders are used? It kind of looks like the scaling bug in the new Video Renderer 9 (VMR9) but it's hard to say with that screen shot being just black and green. Looks like diaginal lines are jagged. Post something with more varied colors. Something animated is always good to use.

Comment

• NightBlade
          • Sep 2003

Alright, here is another sample. I am using quicktime 6.3 and these videos use the sorenson 3 codec. I have discovered that when I maximise quicktime/use fullscreen mode, I get jagged edges. When I double the video size, no jagged edges. When I maximise quicktime and have a dialog over the video (ie export) the image goes slightly darker and the jagged edges dissappear. Any ideas?

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
            • Sep 2003

yea it;s got jagged adges all right especialy on his bald mellon. it looks like Quicktime is stretching the image rather then playing it in a fixed aspect ratio. That image size is 1008 x 545... a screwy reselution indeed. As I havent acctualy used Quicktime in amny years (I use quicktime alternative and Zoom player myself) I dont know if there is an option there to maintain the aspect ratio. Have a look around in the options and see if you can find an option to maintain source aspect ratio.

It changing color when you have something over the top of it sounds like something interfearing with the overlay surface or something. I get those problems to and have no clue how to fix it. I havent truied either sence it;s normal when nothing is over the top of it anyway so I wouldent care so much.

545*16/9=968.8888888888888888889
            545*4/3=726.66666666666666666667
            (assuming 545 is the correct vertical reselution)

assuming it is a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect (if it;s an offical trailer i'm sure it is)then that clip is being stretched horazontal like crazy

I have a feeling the source reselution on that clip is saposed to be something like 720x540. Well I hope this is the problem and this information helps fix it. I wouldent call myself an expert or anything but it's the way it looks to me.
            Last edited by GeneralLeoFF; 1 Oct 2003, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• NightBlade
              • Sep 2003

The original trailer resolution is 640x346, so the same aspect ratio is maintained. I posted the image at that resolution because only when the quicktime window is maximised do you notice the edges. I am guessing that quicktime must not like the video to be resized to a strange resolution. This is not a problem for resolutions like 1000x540 (I run my desktop at 1024x768) but for others, this can be a problem since the video is smaller than the desktop and doubling the video size cuts parts of the video.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                • Sep 2003

yea that means it is being streched wrong for sure then. 640x346 is also a screwey reselution (346*16/9=615.1111111111). It is being streched out. That reselution is not a true 16:9 reselution.

Your desktop of 1024x768 is true 4:3 (768*4/3=1024) so when you set Quicktime to fullscreen it has to adjust the source reselution to 1024x768 and becose it isnt a valid 16:9 or 4:3 reselution it is being streached funny and disorting the aspect ratio.

When you go to show the video at 2x size it'll show the window 2x as big but maintain the aspect ratio but like you said if you try it on some larger videos it'll crop it off screen. What you need is a program that you can stretch the window yourself (by grabing the corner) and it'll maintain the aspect as it is streched.

Basicly the problem is the video is in a lame reselution. no idea why the hell they it was encoded like that... Nothing seems wrong with any thing on your system or anything like that. it seems to just be the video being an odd reselution and QuickTime not compensating for it when you maxamize. Quicktime should add black borders around the image when needed to make up for stuff like this. Kinda like Zoom Player will

actaly that video is almost a 1.85:1 aspect but not exact. it comes out as 1.849:1. I am still lerning this stuff myself I still think it;s not being streched correct by QuickTime though
                Last edited by GeneralLeoFF; 1 Oct 2003, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• NightBlade
                  • Sep 2003

Changing aspect ratio is not the problem. Quicktime always keeps the same aspect ratio, even in fullscreen. It allows me to manually resize the window, and if video size is not the original video size or double the original video size, it has edges.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                    • Sep 2003

yea i was reading a ton of stuff this morning about aspect ratios and I desided to that it wasnt acctaly the aspect ratio

I have no clue why it would do it then I went and grabed some trailers of the quicktime website and played em in zoom player and played around with window sizing and aspect ratios. They blured a ton when they where stretched to full screen (*cuz it was a small reselution to begin with) but I didnt get to much of that wierd jagged edges.

I dont know whats ausing that.

Comment

• NightBlade
                      • Sep 2003

Yeah, I want to try it in zoom player, but it doesn't open the mov files. How do you configure the player to open quicktime files?

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                        • Sep 2003

Zoom Player might not like the offical QuickTime stuff and you may need to install QuickTime Alternative to get DirectShow programs to play.

you can get it here: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...id=1049831315.

I personaly didnt have to do anything special to get it to work. I just installed that and then it worked. (Zoom Player version 3.20 beta 3)

Dont expect 100% compatability though. QuickTime is not realy designed with DirectShow in mind. The most notable problem I have is after the video is finished it'll just sit there showing the last frame and will be slow to close when I press the stop button.
                        Last edited by GeneralLeoFF; 2 Oct 2003, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...