Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • locoinsf
    • Oct 2003

editing VCR capture

Is there a definitive guide to cleaning up mpegs captured from vcr sources? I'm currently playing with several filter plug-ins with Virtualdub and tmpgnc, but I'm spending a lot of time playing with 15 or so different settings and not figuring out which are the most effective. I have a 150+ library of tapes, some from camcorder, but most from broadcast tv.

Any suggestions?
  • RNCSerge
    • Jul 2003

I'd just use de-interlace. Myself, I have all WWE, TNA, shows since June of this year. I really gotta do something with that

Comment

• locoinsf
      • Oct 2003

I ended up doing this:
      Split audio and video into mpeg and wave files
      Deinterlace using VirtualdubMod's plugin
      resized the image to 640X480 (is this too big for live broadcast?)
      applied the tv and vcr plugins for Vdub I found
      sharpened the image somewhat.

It comes out much cleaner, but this thing is going to take hours to render the full movie. It looks a little cartooney with the colors, but I wonder if it isn't due to the weird lighting all through this particular film (the Generation X tv movie from 5-10 years ago)

Once that's done, I'll reintroduce the audio (I cleaned up the tape hiss with the Noise Reduction plug-in in Sound Forge 6)

I think the results will be good, but the process is so many times longer than other methods I've tried, I'm not sure it's worth it. The smoother function in the vcr plugin drops my frame conversion rate down to 2-3 fps. Most of the others are +- 15% of realtime on my system.

there's gotta be a way to shorten the process!!!

Comment

Working...