No Sound in completed DVD - help please!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skwanderer
    • Oct 2003

No Sound in completed DVD - help please!

Hiya,

I have burned some home DV video into DVD format. It "looks" great (functional menus, play, etc.)... but there's no sound!

I tried a "regular" retail DVD - and that was fine (sound and all). I also tried playing one of the authored VOB files directly (using Zoom Player) - and I *could* hear the sound in that!

I used TMPGEnc to encode and author the DVD, and the file input audio (tried both wav and mp2 formats) was present in the authoring process.

Unfortunately I don't have a stand-alone DVD player to also test the DVD, but I don't think this would make a difference would it?

Thanks for any help...
  • Skwanderer
    • Oct 2003

Hmmm... I was hoping that this question would have an easy explanation!

I think I read somewhere that DVD audio should be at a minimum of 44MHz...

...well, I see that my original audio file was set at only 22Mhz (I had reduced it, as the audio was not considered very important [outdoor scenery]).

Could this be the culprit?

Comment

• shiny#3
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jul 2003

Though many dvdplayer nowadays can play back
      a lot of sound formats... there are only 4 audioformats
      used in standart DVDs

1. mpeg1 layer 2 48mhz 192 -224 kbits/s

2 ac3 2channel and 6 channel (5.1)

3. LPCM (48 mhz and higher)

4.DTS

check what formats are supported by your
      home cinema hardware and choose the one that
      fits best your needs.

Comment

• Skwanderer
        • Oct 2003

Thanks shiny#3

ok, I've been doing my homework and reading up as much as possible on this subject...

Upon further investigation, I see that the audio file is an mp2 32000Hz (2112kbps) - on both the 2 authored DVD's I tried.

This confused me, as I had authored 1 DVD using mp2, and the 2nd DVD with a 48000Hz wav (pcm) file for troubleshooting.

However, looks like this was my goof-up... TMPGEng DVD Author has a checkbox on the input file info stating "<b>Re-encode the audio using the output of the track</b>"... and apparently I had this checked both times (default setting). Seems like this automatically converts the audio to mp2...

So I'd like to burn a 3rd DVD now, using the PCM audio... problem is, if I do that - it won't fit on a DVD

Can you please then confirm my understanding that <b>AC3</b> is compatible with all DVD players? i.e. PCM and AC3 are compatible with both PAL & NTSC (mp2 only with certain PAL players)

I have downloaded a copy of <b>BeSweet</b> to convert the wav file to AC3, and although I hear there can be compatibility issues with certain Pioneer DVD players, the output AC3 should be generally accepted on most DVD players?

Also, for better or worse, I have used a 2-pass VBR for encoding the DV file to MPEG2... When I play the actual VOB files, I don't sense any sync problems (mv2+wav), so would it be safe to assume that when I convert the wav to AC3 that this will not lead to any new sync problems?
        Last edited by Skwanderer; 10 Oct 2003, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• Skwanderer
          • Oct 2003

<b>FOLLOW UP</b>

Howdy, just want to report that the problem is solved

The culprit was indeed the mp2 file (and perhaps the fact that I had recorded it at 32000Hz).

Solution was easy. I used <b>TMPGEnc</b> to retrieve the audio file from the original DV file in raw WAV format. I then used <b>Sonic SoftEncode</b> to encode the WAV file to AC3 - this also set the audio signal at the desired 48000Hz frequency.

Went back to <b>TMPGEnc DVD Author</b> and selected the source m2v video file along with the new ac3. Set chapters/menus, etc... authored and then burned to DVD.

The result is perfect - no sync problems or tonal distortions. Unfortunately i don't have a stand-alone DVD player to test on, but I'm confident enough to be able to move on

Comment

Working...