Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orcaluna
    • Sep 2003

Codecs and Compression

When you capture DV with a given codec, edit it, and then export the edited video without compression the file size is bigger. The video quality is not necessarily better. True or False?

The reason why I ask is.....I can record video with my cheap low quality logitech web cam, edit it, and then export it without compression but the quality if the pic does not improve (but file sie jumps). When I do this with DV the only pic difference is playback is choppy. Who is the codec pro? Thanks
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

"When you capture DV with a given codec, edit it, and then export the edited video without compression the file size is bigger. The video quality is not necessarily better. True or False?"

True, especially when a lossy codec was used in the initial compression.

"The reason why I ask is.....I can record video with my cheap low quality logitech web cam, edit it, and then export it without compression but the quality if the pic does not improve (but file sie jumps)."

Take into account that the capture quality of the "cheap low quality logitech web cam" is not that great in the first place...

Comment

Working...