X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mythologyrocks
    • Oct 2003

Converting XVID codec movie to DIVX

Hi,

I am a newbie...Can some 1 tell me how to convert a movie that was encoded using XVID codec to DIVX?

Thankz in advance for ur help....

Regards,
    Mythologyrocks!!!
  • vic_vega
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • May 2003

Virtual Dub (amazing freeware) Check it out at <a href="http://www.virtualdub.org/">http://www.virtualdub.org/</a>

Oh, Oh, Oh, what would I do without you Virtual Dub?

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To mythologyrocks

May I ask WHY you want to do this?

Comment

• vic_vega
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • May 2003

What do you use for compression Seta?

Do you like Xvid better?

The tests I have done personally, to see the size differences (using the same vob file, then encoding it to DivX, and XviD (with the same audio of course) to compare the quality, and size, although the XviD was mostly better quality, it was a WAY bigger file size then the DivX.

And when I changed the quality of the XviD just a little bit (to see if that would be as good as quality of DivX, it was terrible quality!) People keep saying how XviD is better, well, the day I can convert a .VOB to XviD (at the same quality, with just as good a file size) then I will agree that it is better....

But until then....

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

"it was a WAY bigger file size then the DivX"

How did you come to this conclusion? XviD allows you to set the filesize manually (in the second pass) and if you are complaining of oversized files, then you have done something wrong in your filesize calculation.

"And when I changed the quality of the XviD just a little bit (to see if that would be as good as quality of DivX, it was terrible quality!)"

Further convinced me that you have done something wrong in your XviD configuration. Perhaps you might be good enough to tell us what settings you used (and decoder used for playback) so I can figure out where you went wrong? I have personally tested the older codecs (DivX 3.11, MS MPEG4 V2, DivX 4, etc), DivX 5 and XviD, and I personally find XviD to be the best codec for my needs (with DivX 5 being close). However much I allow for people's preference to vary between the DivX 5 and XviD codecs, BAD is certainly not applicable to XviD.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

mythologyrocks,

"I am a newbie...Can some 1 tell me how to convert a movie that was encoded using XVID codec to DIVX?"

Have you considered changing the FourCC code of the XviD file to DIVX? This is a much faster alternative and does not involve the quality-reducing re-compressing.

Comment

• vic_vega
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • May 2003

Enchanter, do you know where I can get some type of guide for the methods you mentioned. (up to date ones) because trying to configure the XviD codec is sorta confusing. (to get it to about the same quality as a bitrate of DivX at 2000)

Thats what I use for DivX and it comes out pretty good. And I always hear of this "2-pass encoding" well, I understand it, but I dont understand HOW to do it.

I would be happy to use XviD more often, (it definately has better quality) but it's just that DivX is so much more easier to use/configure, and I always get a better file size.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To vic_vega and Enchanter

You are hijacking "mythologyrocks" thread...

Comment

• vic_vega
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • May 2003

haha

=>

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

To vic_vega

There's nothing humorous about hijacking someone else's thread. It's inappropriate.

If you have a question, start a new thread...

Comment

• vic_vega
                      Platinum Member
                      Platinum Member
                      • May 2003

Sorry, I didn't know that you were serious...

Comment

Working...