Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardmei
    • Oct 2003

cann't burn .AVI with srt/smi?

I have a .AVI file along with corresponding .srt and .smi subtitle files. NO problem while I watch the video on hard disk. If I burn the AVI file with any of subtitles files to CD-R or CD-RW, I cannot watch it anymore by either mplayer classic or BSPlayer -- keep getting runtime error. Though Divx Player could play it since it doesn't support subtitle anyway.

Anyone has tried this before or it's simply a mission impossible?

Thanks,

-rm
  • Qyd
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Oct 2002

if you can play from HD but not from CD, it means that the error is connected with the burning process.
    What software do you use for burning, and what burning speed do you use?

Comment

• richardmei
      • Oct 2003

I don't think it's a burning problem since I can either copy the files back to HD then play or use those players not recognizing subtitles to play from CD. It seems to me it's only affected by the presence of .srt/.smi files.

Anyway, I am using Nero 5.5 with external burner of 48x, but I always let Nero test speed beforehand.

-rm

Comment

• Qyd
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Oct 2002

When you play from HD, can you play WITH subtitles? (from your second post i understand you don't).

Possible solution: install VobSub 2.23
        Last edited by Qyd; 31 Oct 2003, 04:33 AM.

Comment

• ChristianHJW
          matroska project member
          • May 2003

Playing an AVI with external subtitles from your poor CD drive is direct murder to it .... bear in mind, the read head has to jump between the external subs and the movie, back and forth, all the time .....

If you wnat to play the movie with selectable subs from a CD, burn it into a MKV ( matroska ) or OGM file, where the SRT subs are embedded with the video data into the stream, so the CD drive can read the data linear ....
          Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

• Qyd
            Digital Video Technician
            Digital Video Technician
            • Oct 2002

Do you think it's that serious? I mean murder?
            Subs are tipicaly less than 50kb, I would think the're loaded in one gulp.
            Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of matroska myself, but the poster was talking abour runtime error...
            although, the more I think, matroska would be a solution. Not the easiest one, and not the one the poster was expecting, but...

Comment

• ChristianHJW
              matroska project member
              • May 2003

Originally posted by Qyd
              Subs are tipicaly less than 50kb, I would think the're loaded in one gulp.
              ... while you say that, i really have to check with Gabest how he programmed DVobSub in this respect, you may be right : .... if so, shame on me ....

In any case, my MKVs with 2 - 3 subs tracks play fine from CD ...
              Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

Working...