X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyDreams
    • Nov 2003

Totally DUMB!! Some Questions..

Hi...
    I have been wasting so much time and money on my new hobby. So after reading so much and understanding so little I am here with some questions.

1. Is dvd-r and dvd-ram the same?

2. I have 4.7 gb disks and have some things I want to copy that are about 3 hours. I always am told that I need more than one disc. I need to copy into DVD-R. I have hunted in my computer over and over and cannot see how I can switch modes to extended play as I do with my recorder in the den. Is there software to do this?

3. I bought some 9.4 gb disks but when they arrived they were double sided. So then I thought I read there were single sided and I went and looked for some and never could find them. But 4.7 gb can record up to 6 hours correct? I have Ulead, Rozio, and just about every type of software and cannot get any of them to extend the playing time.. ANy suggestions?

4. Someone gave me a copy of a Pretenders concert they shot. It was in Australia and the region is not ours nor is the type of recording.. I think PAL.. How can I convert all that simply to something I can watch on my panasonic unit.

Thanks for having patience with me. I appreciate the time and comments...

Errol
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"1. Is dvd-r and dvd-ram the same?"

No...

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

DVD-RAM only plays on the PC and is used for data storage/backup. There is no PC extended play option...but if you read these forums you'll learn how to create DVDs for a variety of ways (ripping/capture/downloading P2P)...but no matter what you do, after creating the DVD file you can then use DVDShrink (freeware available here) to cut the video sizes in half. Amatuers can't create doublesided DVD's. Search this forum for PAL/NTSC conversion posts.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To rsquirell

"Amatuers can't create doublesided DVD's."

That's incorrect. Double-SIDED DVDs are simply two 4.7Gb ("DVD-5") DVDs glued back-to-back - otherwise knwon as a "flipper". with both sides readily burnable.

Perhaps you meant to say that, presently, "amateurs" have no means of burning double-LAYERED DVDs...

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

true...I stand corrected.

Comment

• kimomakano
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Jun 2002

Re: To rsquirell

[QUOTE]Double-SIDED DVDs are simply two 4.7Gb ("DVD-5") DVDs glued back-to-back - otherwise knwon as a "flipper". with both sides readily burnable.

Are these discs available anywhere in retail? I have never seen them before.

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

You'd have to flip it to use both sides...labling might get tricky...more chance to scratch it...but I guess it would take half as much album space.

Comment

• kimomakano
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Jun 2002

Yeah, I have seen them used for commercial DVD's, but never in a retail store for consumer use.

On the one I saw (I can't recall the title right now) it didn't have a label. Instead the title was imprinted around the inner circle of the disc (next to the center). It was hard to read.

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

That's the way commercial DVDs are labled. The only advantage I see is storage space.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                    • Sep 2003

2 comercial DVDs I wn that use double sided DVDs are "Spaceballs" and "One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest". The lable is a simple red word on the hub of the disc that says fullscreen or widescreen and the name of the film is in black.

It's a bitch to read em and i'm always afraid i'll scratch them and sometimes it's confusing what side is what... I think double sided DVD was mostly used kind of early in the DVD formats life before duel layed DVD became cheaper.

I cant stand double sided comercial DVD but I guess it;ls as best as you can do for DVD-R right now.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

For flippers for consumer use, go to:

Comment

• kimomakano
                        Platinum Member
                        Platinum Member
                        • Jun 2002

Thanks Setarip!!

Comment