Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbingham
    • Nov 2003

DV capture -- best quality/resolution?

I am new to Digital Video capture and editing. I have a P4P with HT, 2.6GHz machine with Sonic MyDVD and 4X DVD+RW burner. I have a 1394 card with Firewire cable. What resolution do I need to capture video from my Camcorder so that the video is the best quality possible when playing back on home DVD player (connected to TV)? Can the resolution be controlled in the software? I have done some capturing "test" but the format seems to be too small to be high quality for DVD playback.

Any suggestions?
  • GeneralLeoFF
    • Sep 2003

if your capturing it for making a DVD then capture at 720x480

Comment

• dbingham
      • Nov 2003

Best software for capturing DV to DVD?

For capturing 720x480, what is the best consumer SW out there for doing this? Or is the resolution controlled by the 1394 card?

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
        • Sep 2003

I havent ever used a 1394 card myself so I cant realy answer that. I only have a analog TV Wonder capture card. Probly VirtualDUB will work if it can accept video from those cards. I'll leave it for someone here that knows though.

I only know if you want to make a DVD the target reselution is 720x480

Comment

• videopnut
          • Nov 2003

Most people don't understand the meaning of "resolution". In this context it means nothing more than picture size. If you're thinking you can improve on the DV image during capture, forget it.

DV is recorded as 720x480. Period. If you capture, edit, then export back to DV or MPEG2 in this resolution, you'll have the highest picture quality attainable in that format. If you try to change that size, you'll only end up with interpolated pixels (at best).

Other than that, the actual IMAGE quality on the tape is wholly dependent on the camera that recorded it - particularly the lens and CCDs. Don't think for a minute that all DV camcorders are created equal. Single CCD camcorders with cheap lenses produce inferior images compared to those with three CCDs and quality lenses. As always, you get what you pay for.

Comment

• dbingham
            • Nov 2003

DV Capture quality

Videopnut,
            I understand the concept of resolution versus picture size. However, the quality of the "video" from the camcorder is perfect when viewing on the TV directly from the camera. Shouldn't the DV capture through a Firewire cable be at least the quality that i'm getting from the camera to the TV?

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
              • Sep 2003

I think it definitly should.

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

If you have a true DV Camcorder you should capture thru the firewire to keep the digital resolution. Going through the All-in-Wonder card (designed to capture VHS) or an external VHS capture device converts the 720X480 DV resolution to 356X240 just by entering the portal. Going directly through the firewire to the capture software is the only way to maintain 720X480. Any storyboard editor will capture DV...which is captured in AVI format. Pinnacle Studio8 and ULead Video Studio 7 convert the AVI to more manageable MPEG2 files on the fly.

Comment

• dbingham
                  • Nov 2003

DV Capture quality

Thanks everyone for their replies. However, no one seems to understand my original question.

I have a digital camcorder (Sony TRV310) with an iLink/Firewire port. I am using a 6' Firewire cable into my DV capture card. What is causing the loss of quality? I have tried capturing via Sonic, ULead, and Windows Movie Maker on DV-AVI setting.

Would an inferior and longer Firewire cable cause such a dramatic loss in quality?

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                    • Sep 2003

Yes a poor cable and one that is insane long could and proly would cause problems. I dont think 6' wuld be to long though.

Comment

• rsquirell
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Feb 2003

There's a lot of loss in wires. A short 3ft. GOLD firewire cable is the way to go.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                        • Sep 2003

Something even more important then gold conectors is wire guage. Dont buy another cheap thin cable just becose the packaging says gold on it.

Heavy guage with standard conectors is still better then lite gauge with gold conectors. Try for both

Comment

• rsquirell
                          Digital Video Master
                          Digital Video Master
                          • Feb 2003

The gold I'm talking about is every wire strand is plated...not just the tips. It's why Circuit City/BestBuy wire is twice as expensive as Staples wire. Anyway, the General has a point about Guage.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                            • Sep 2003

I didnt know they made gold like that. I also wouldent figure somewhere like BestBuy would have such quality. I cant find anything but RG-59 coax in there stores for example.

This house I live in (just moved in 2 months ago) used to be fully wired with crusty RG-59 coax (curtesy of cheap-o Comcast). Striping that all out was one of the first things I did. Replaced it all with RG-7 that I got from a Dish Network installer. Those installers are crooked as hell. Slip em a little extra and they hook you up.

Comment

• rsquirell
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Feb 2003

hehehe...you got a point....but a few months back I approached Circuit City with the price tag of Staples Gold USB cable ("We match their price") and was told that CircuitCity cable was much higher quality...and shown the package that claims the entire wire is coated and is heavier guage. Why theirs is $30 for a 3 ft wire vs the $15 spread.

Comment

Working...