So, how would YOU capture HDTV on your computer?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jj1492
    • Feb 2002

So, how would YOU capture HDTV on your computer?

I've been searching high and low for a set-top HDTV box with a hard drive in it, but I've only found a couple and they don't have the features I'm looking for.

So, obviously a computer provides more options. I'm somewhat new to video capturing on the comp, though I'm a comp nerd. Anyway, I'm curious as to what equipment I need. I'm assuming all I need is a video card with the inputs on it. So, what would YOU use to capture HD as well as standard definition broadcasts from a satellite receiver?

Thanks for the help.
  • GeneralLeoFF
    • Sep 2003

For capturing HDTV on a PC your options are slim at best at the moment. Theres a handfull of HDTV tunner cards on the market but they are all only for over the air HDTV brodcasts. Theres not alot you can do right now for HDTV brodcasts over digital sattelite or cable on a PC.

I have done the same kind of searching as you have done and came to the conclusion that HDTV at this time is not worth the effort or the cost. Any HDTV hardware you buy now is going to be junk by the time HDTV becoms mainstream in the future anyway.

Comment

• sfheath
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Sep 2003

I'm recording Digital Terrestrial here in UK on Hauppauge Nova-t card in the PC. However, the broadcast mpeg2 is Transport Stream as opposed to Program Stream that DVD requires so EVERYTHING needs converting.

It took a lot of experimenting and trial and error but I've produced some presentable results. Far nicer than the cable quality we're getting!

I understand satellite stream is Transport Stream also.
      This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• DigitalDreamz
        • Nov 2003

Try This http://primiq.com its what i use to send video audio and photos to my TV it works very well

Ed

Comment

Working...