X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vresiberba
    • Jan 2002

TV-Card - need advice

Hello.

I'm about to buy a TV-card and need some advice and information. I will use the card to record and archive sporting events mainly, and of course to use as an vcr. I have looked at these two cards; Pinnacle PCTV Stereo and WinFast TV2000 XP Expert. The only features I demand is; S-Video in, stereo in, capture ability around 640 or over, which these two cards seem to have. However, I read a review on Tom's Hardware, and there it said that the PCTV card maximum capture resolution were only 320*240. Is this correct?

I was planning to "rip" in some lossless "raw" format in 720 or 640 resolution and then later convert it with virtualdub to XViD and mp3 for archive purposes. Is this possible with these cards? The source I will use is from my digital cable box S-Video out via the scart, because some of the programs is coded and will have to pass through the cable box. Is this a practical solution, and will it present a good image rip? The signal from the cable box is exceptional, or so says my TV set anyway.

I know the rip file size will get rather big, but I will buy a Cuda V 120 Mb disk at the same time, I hope it's enough. My system spec is; AMD 2400+, 2*256Mb, nforce2, ATI Radeon 9000 PRO, Win2K sp4.

Any advice and info on the mentioned cards and possible compatibility problems would be helpful, as well as my planned procedure to rip and archive.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

That they both support MPEG2 I think both will capture full-screen. Tom's Hardware might have merely been refering to the on-screen monitor in the application. This being the case, it might be worth your while giving www.showshifter.com a look. Their software is very nice, full-screen monitor option. Check out their site for hardware support.
    Whatever size HD you get I bet you'll soon wish you'd bought bigger
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...