Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michaeldon
    • Dec 2003

DVD authoring failure

hi there, I need help with TMPGenc dvd author. Im trying to author 5 movie clips (each at 2.3G, total is about 12G) and then use dvdshrink to make it fit on one single dvd disc but TMPgenc stops at about 10G and complains its unable to continue because the size is over normal DVD capability limit. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem. Thanks.
    ps im aware by squeezing 12G into 1 4.7G disc the quality will not be too impressive but quality is not the main concern for this disc.

[edit] sorry, can any mod please move this post 'dvd author' section, thank you
    Last edited by michaeldon; 15 Dec 2003, 12:07 PM.
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

I have no problem getting TMPGenc DVD Author to accept a 14+GB file (a joined MPEG2 capture of an 8 hr.VCR tape.) I don't try to process it as a 14GB final product, however...I edit out the individual programs, and the result is usually under 4GB for individual shows...which I process to get the files for DVD Shrink. I've never tried to get it to process the entire unburnable file.

Comment

• sfheath
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Sep 2003

Ignore the warnings and write the unburnable files. TDA is just being polite in telling you the DVD won't work as is.
      This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• michaeldon
        • Dec 2003

thanks for the replies. since TDA doesnt want to go beyond 10G, is it possible to author like 6G at a time, then burn both final products into a single dvd disc.
        to sfheath: TDA stops authoring after warning message. Im left with 10G of movie however I'd like to have all 12G.

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

You can't get more than 4.37GB on a disc...so that's the size the file must be after you prep it. There are many ways to size the video. DVDShrink ( at maximum 50% level 10) might reduce it to 8GB. If your capture was made with LPCM audio you can convert it to mp2 and further reduce that size by 1/3 (approx 6GB)...but that still isn't small enough for a DVD. The most important thing you can do is capture in MPEG2 with an MPEG2 capture device (but since you're using TDA I assume it's done that way) at a low bitrate of 2400kbps CBR at a lower resolution (352X480). If you still can't get it below 4.37 U R SOL, and have to split it.

Comment

• michaeldon
            • Dec 2003

i see and I think im going to give up on this. There is just too much data for a single layered DVD disc. thanks resquirell

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

Most 8 hr VHS tapes that when captured with the low bitrate/resolution that give you a 12+ GB file contains multiple TV programs. Each can be shrunk individually and stored, and when several of the same topic are together , burn a disc. If you only have a program or two in a 12GB capture (ie only 4 hours of video) you can make it significantly smaller by capturing at a lower bitrate/resolution.

Comment

Working...