Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VibeMan
    • Dec 2003

Changing aspect ratio

I have converted VHS tapes to digital avi. Is it possible to modify digital 4:3 to look OK on a 16:9 screen?
    My undying thanks for any info.
    vm
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

I take it your 16:9 is your TV...and you have a stand-alone DVD player...which means you have to make a DVD or (if your Player will play them) a VCD or SVCD...which means you have to convert the AVI to MPEG2 or (for VCD...if you have a Phiilps Player) MPEG1. TMPGenc is one program which will convert it for you...and you can change aspect ratio in "settings" under the "advanced" tab.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
      • Sep 2003

if it is letterboxed VHS you can probly crop it to a 16:9 aspect ratio. If it's a fullscreen VHS backup there would be no need to do this.

I personaly dont know what software would do it as I never did this (probly virtual dub will do it) but I dont see why you cant do it.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
        • Sep 2003

OK why did this post twice? Nuke it please

if it is letterboxed VHS you can probly crop it to a 16:9 aspect ratio. If it's a fullscreen VHS backup there would be no need to do this.

I personaly dont know what software would do it as I never did this (probly virtual dub will do it) but I dont see why you cant do it.

Comment

Working...