Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abababab
    • Jun 2003

Divx Pro 5.11 collide with Xvid?

Hi all, it was so strange that whenever I play a movie encoded with xvid, it always use the Divx 5.11 codec to decode the movie, anyone here can tell me how to make xvid codec the default codec for xvid movie playback? Thanks in advance.
  • GeneralLeoFF
    • Sep 2003

It's wierd that the DivX 5.1.1 codec would latch onto playing XviD. The codec is capable of playing XviD (I think it looks better then using an XviD codec to) but it is un offical and realy shouldent have latched onto playback of XviD. I dont even see how it could have done so.

You can try and fix it by changing the codec merrits around. A program named Zoom Player is abale to access and alter the merrits but i'm sure theres other ways

anyway like I said the DivX codec can play XviD but theres nothing about the codec that I know of that could cause it to latch ont playback of XviD by the defult ways windows handles directshow (I have to force it to play in my case using a custem graph) so this is a rather strange case. You sure the movie is acctualy XviD?

Comment

• abababab
      • Jun 2003

Thanx for your help. I am sure that movies were encoded with xvid. Currently I am using BSPlayer, i will try zoomplayer.
      BTW. I am a noob here, could you tell me what is "codec merrits"?

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
        • Sep 2003

It is the way windows manages directshow. each codec is assigned a number value and the codec with the higher number is the defult codec to try and use.

So if you have a bunch of codecs to play back XviD (XviD, FFdshow, whatever...) and FFDShow as a merrit of 80000 and XviD has a merrit of 60000 then FFDSHow gets tried first. if it fails it'll go to the next possable codec until it finds one that will play the video.

Perhaps BSPlayer has a way of altering filter merrits. I havent used it in a long time. Zoom player can do it and you can still use BSPlayer to play the video if you want.

Comment

Working...