Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hukturn
    • Dec 2003

"Choppy" DVD playback on home DVD

After a long and tortuous ordeal attempting to learn to edit from Sony MicroMV (DCR-IP5) into Sony Movie Shaker, I am now beginning to burn DVDs. For those unaware, MicroMV uses MPEG-2 which is incompatible with many video editing softwares. Further complicating this, Movie Shaker will accomodate MPEG-2 but only on a Windows XP OS. So, with last years Christmas present (DCR-IP5) and this years present Sony DVD burner, I can now make my own movies...but quality is an issue.
    I burned my first DVD tonight in DV-AVI format. Plays well in the PC, but is "choppy" and slow on the home DVD player (Sony DAV-C770). It does play in the home DVD player, just poor quality as mentioned. I download and edit with Movie Shaker, save as file, but burn to DVD using "Sonic MyDVD".
    Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Particularly as wife is getting uneasy about my not making Honeymoon (nearly a year ago) DVDs and baby on the way.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Sony standalone DVD players are notorious for:

1) Being "picky" about the brand of media - They handle Ritek DVD-Rs very nicely.
    2) About being well maintained (Try using a DVD/CD cleaning disc. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US)
    3) About playing back DVD+Rs. they seem to prefer DVD-Rs

Comment

• hukturn
      • Dec 2003

Format

Alrighty, trail and error prevails. I started off saving/burning as .avi files, but tried mpg and mpg2, also. In fact, Movie Shaker offers the options of saving in mpeg2 high quality (8mbps) or mpeg2 standard (4mbps). While even the mpeg2 high quality was still choppy, the mpeg2 standard format was of good quality. Wonder why? As I stated earlier, no matter the format, it plays fine in the PC, only problem was playing in the home player. Thanks. Any additional assistance is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Fatboy03
        • Jan 2004

I started burning dvd's tonight..my first one turned out EXCELLENT..The quality on my pc and my big screen sony is unbelievable.Not choppy at all either.I ripped it using dvd shrink ,then burnt it to dvd-r using nero dvd-video.

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

"As I stated earlier, no matter the format, it plays fine in the PC, only problem was playing in the home player. Thanks. Any additional assistance is greatly appreciated."

As setarip stated, Sony standalone DVD players are "picky" about certain types of media. I would absolutely try Ritek.

Comment

Working...