Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ping350
    • Jan 2004

DV Capture Problems - need debugging help

I am setting up my system for the first time for DV capture.

The problem I have is that I only seem to be able to capture about 4 secs of video before the preview screens stops showing the progress. The DV continues running but no further processing/capture occurs. Once i stop the DV with the capture software a small file is created with the 3 secs of video. It has some blockiness but basically ok.

I have tried this with both WMM, WMM2 and WinDV with the same results. Same result with both avi and alternate formats. Initial research suggested I need to update my Nvidia driver and I have done so from the Nvidia site. No change in result.

I am using:

IBM P4 2 Ghz
    760MB mem
    120 gig drive, 7200 rpm
    Nividia Geforce 64 meg video card
    thirdparty IEEE 1394 card
    JVC DVL820 with firewire connection

Any ideas on the problem? Or how I can debug this to determine if the problem is the IEEE card, codecs, drivers or the software? I see different posts involving all the above.
  • dsf
    • Jan 2004

Ignore this if it is too stupid to consider. What is your video editor? Are "WMM, WMM2 and WinDV" video editors? What are they? I have 6 or 7 video editors. None fail to capture although some are useless for editing. You could "borrow" a Firewire card from CompUSA (or maybe they sell them in Wal-Mart now.) Try it and see if it's your Firewire card. Also what do you mean with "both avi and alternate formats". Do you have a choice in what format your capture program uses? I presume you're capturing from a video camera in which case the camera decides the capture format, MPG or AVI. I think you need to give more details of your problem.

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

simply get a trial version of video studio7 from ulead and capture at dv-avi format. if that works fine ur card is ok. then u can try with mpeg2 file format.

same can be accomplished with power director 3 from cyberlink.

The power to create stories, play video, and connect with friends & co-workers. Easy to learn and use, try the best photo, audio, and video editing software.
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• ping350
        • Jan 2004

Thanks for the idea...i did some more debugging and it ended up that the firewire connection was flaky.

I replugged the wire into another port on the card and everything works fine now. I guess it just points out how sensitive things are. I also now have the Ulead Movie Factory software and it works fine as well.

Thanks

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

Does Movie Factory capture DV in MPEG? Video Studio 7 will.

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

Originally posted by rsquirell
            Does Movie Factory capture DV in MPEG? Video Studio 7 will.
            yes it does that atleast ver 2 doesit. ofcourse ver 3 iv tried is a combination of vs7 and movie factory........all in one, nice software piece too......
            Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...