• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vic_vega
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • May 2003

VHS to DV to Final .MPEG2 Questions....

Ok, I have a Videotape that I recorded onto a DV tape...

Anyways, all of that is Kool and the Gang, but, (and I know this has been discussed to some extent here) but, after I mport it from the DV tape I get some black area on both the right, and left sides, and a hissing type of line on the bottom.

I use TMPGEnc Plus for my encoding from huge, uncompressed .AVI's to .MPEG2, now my questions are:

1.) Should I crop the sides, to take the black area out, OR, do they not appear after I put them on a DVD, etc.?

(I have read on here that some people say That they should remove them, and then I see people reccomend that they shouldn't remove them because on final playback, they don't show up anyways.)

2.) The footage dosn't look that great (Color wise, contrast, etc.)

I want people's opinions on if they think that I should either attempt to fix them, or should just leave it the way it is.)

Also, should I de-interlace it, or not, because I DID see a little interlace after I imported it. Not a ton, a little, but maybe a TV could display it correctly?

Thank you to anyone that can help, as I don't really want to keep 20 GIGs of uncompressed video on my hard drive for a long time.
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

You could capture with ULead Video Studio 7 or Pinnacle Studio9 as MPEG2 rather than as 20GB AVI...they offer 30 day free trials. You don't need to clip your frames if you intend to burn a DVD and watch it on the TV (because the TV overscans the edges...the problem only arises if you intend to watch the vids on the PC. You can easily change color and contrast in "simple color correction" ( look in "settings">>"advanced". No idea if deinterlacing will help...try a small vid (or abort your film after a few minutes and look at it.) This game is just testing and looking...welcome to our world.

Comment

• vic_vega
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • May 2003

Hey thanks, I have Video Studio and I didn't know that it captured to Mpeg2's.

Anyways, thanks alot, that will most likely be a big time saver. Anyways, I think that I came off as a newbie in the first post which I am not, well, not to other Digital Video and DVD stuff anyways. It's just this DV stuff I'm new to.

And yes, I have done tons of experimenting. (Thats how I learned most of what i do know about Digital Video)

Anyways, thank you for the Tip!

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

My Pleasure

Comment

• vic_vega
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • May 2003

Ok, well, I tested it out to see how it would look, and the results were good at first, but then when I set it to capture, I walked away from my computer, and didn't use it, because I didn't want to interrupt it, so when i cam back to it about an hour later to check it out, I got this error:

Cannot Set MPEG parameters error.

Capturing failed.
          The File Created is corrupt, and unusable.

It Will be automatically deleted.

So then I tried it again, got the same error, and then again (doing it the batch way marking the in and out spots, and got the same error, so tomorrow, I'm just going to capture it with Vegas, and convert it to MPEG2 from there.

But Thanks for your help telling me about the overscan, and how it won't be displayed on a TV Screen.

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

I'm actually still using VS6SE (but with all the plug-ins it's pretty much the same as VS7). Connect your camera and when the Template screen first pops up ...select the group of templates made from the capture settings...they are different from the other templates.

Comment

Working...