Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hollynodoubt
    • Feb 2004

I need WinDVD help please!

OK here's the story I got my new computer just before xmas but I can't play DVDs
    I've got a CD-RW/DVD drive and WinDVD 4 and Windows XP Home edition but everytime I insert a DVD WinDVD comes up with

'create overlay failed. Please lower your screen resolution or colour depth and try again'

Does anybody know how to stop this from happening because I've tried lowering the screen res. and colour depth as well as trying different codex and settings and I don't know what to do with it!

Any help would be much appreciated
  • melios69
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Aug 2003

Try going to windows update and make sure your updates are current especially the drivers.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jan 2004

If update does not fix problem go to windvd site for update or down load complete program. You can always re-install windows (or use system restore to reset to an earlier time).
      Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

Re: I need WinDVD help please!

Originally posted by hollynodoubt
        everytime I insert a DVD WinDVD comes up with
        'create overlay failed. Please lower your screen resolution or colour depth and try again'
        Screen resolution or color depth doesn't have anything to do with the error you're getting. In your setup for your video card and/or windvd their is an option to "create overlay" this has to do with how your video is displayed on your monitor/video output on your video card. Can you post what video card you're using. You're monitor can display high resolution while your tv can only support 525 lines of resolution unless it's high definition.

Comment

• hollynodoubt
          • Feb 2004

ok I finally found my graphics card manual!

right I haven't tried windows updates or anything yet because I think It's my graphics card. My graphics card is an
          Inno3D Tornado GeForce FX Series
          Thanks for all your help so far guys you've been really helpful

Comment

• hollynodoubt
            • Feb 2004

It works!!!!!!!!!!

I downloaded a driver for my graphics card from windows updates and it works now!!! thank you so much 4 that guys

Only one slight problem now though. The DVD plays but there's no picture and the sound's pretty dodgy too.

Any ideas?

Comment

• hollynodoubt
              • Feb 2004

Green Screen!!!

Check out my 'Green Screen!!!' post for more information

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

did you also go to windvd for an update or to download entire program.

Sometimes spyware/freeware such as DivX, etc. can cause such problems. Do you have or had such on your system.

If nothing else, refund / exchange the present for a new 'puter (what some do to solve problem).
                Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• hollynodoubt
                  • Feb 2004

I can't find any updates for WinDVD on their site. What do you mean 'download entire program'? I have the WinDVD disk which is where I get the program from. I don't think I have DivX on my computer.
                  I've actually just downloaded the Windows Media Player series 9 from windows update and my DVDs play fine with that so could it be that I'm just missing a codec for WinDVD?
                  I've noticed aswell that when I play my DVDs in WinDVD if the menus are static and don't have any animation then they display correctly but as soon as I click on a link to start the main feature or whatever, because it's not a still image I just get the green screen. Anyway I think getting a new computer is a little too drastic as this is the only problem I'm having (which to me now sounds like a problem with WinDVD) and I've only had it since just before christmas.
                  Thanks again for the help guys

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Jan 2004

hollynodoubt,

It seems solution is to set windows media player as your default dvd player (that's what many do). This should solve your problem. Have you downloaded Service Pack 1 (if you don"t already have it). Usually SP1 will solve some software compatibility problems. Exchanging any product during refund/warranty is never a drastic thing ..... If the store offers such, why not do it....you would actually extend the REAL warranty period, that way.

Glad to help.
                    Rig :

Comment

• hollynodoubt
                      • Feb 2004

I finally figured out how to get rid of the green screen! If anyone has the same problem as me just uncheck the two boxes under the video tab that say use hardware colour/decode acceleration and it works!
                      I can't believe it was something so simple but then again it usually is! At least I can watch my DVDs I'm getting for my birthday tomorrow now!
                      Thanks guys I love all of you that helped me!

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Jan 2004

You are welcome.
                        Rig :

Comment

• evilwillis
                          • Feb 2004

help

Hi Hollynodoubt,

I have the same problem as this, but I can not find the 'video tab' which you talk of in your resolution, can you please let me know where it is, thank you,

evil

Comment

Working...