Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stellarcouple
    • Jul 2003

Help w/ Nero Write Speed

I have a 52x cd writer and have been burning movies for about a year with no problems. But now my software has encountered a problem with reading the cd writers write speed. When I click on the driver info my max speed is only reading 4x. And I have no idea how to fix it.
    When I try to burn at the 4x speed, I get an error message that says "power calibration error" when I look up what that error means it says: "error messages result from unspecified hardware faults in the recorder, which do not have any obvious cause. A firmware upgrade, changing to a different make of blank CD or having the recorder repaired may all help in this case."
    I have changed to a different type of cd with no results.
    Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

I would try a firmware update. Look at the manufacturer's website and look for a downloads or firmware link.
    Make sure it's for your precise model though.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Quality's Proof
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jan 2004

If the firmware update doesn't work : Open device Manager and see if there are any yellow symbols in that long chain (to help rule out device miscommunications).
      Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• stellarcouple
        • Jul 2003

How do I get to device manager?

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

If you have XP; I'll walk you through it....If you have another O.S., you should post what it is, so some other poster can help you.

On XP : Click (w/mouse (left button)) start (in lower left dcreen), then Click Control Panel, then Click : Performance and Maintenance, then Click : See Basic Information about computer, then Click Hardware tab (on System Properties (which pops up)), then click Device Manager tab : You will then see that long device list : Then notice if any Yellow symbols, then open up the IDE ATAPI for UDMA mode enable (after you have checked on the drives)...
          Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• stellarcouple
            • Jul 2003

Device manager

Ok. In device manager under my Secondary IDE channel properties, in Advanced Settings says: Device 0 says: Transfer Mode>PIO Only Current Tranfer Mode>PIO
            Device 1 says: Transfer Mode>DMA if available, Current Transfer Mode>Ultra DMA Mode 2

I tried to change the PIO to DMA if available, but the Current Tranfer Mode still says PIO.

By the way, how do I find the firmware? I went to the Nero website and I don't see anything about it.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Jan 2004

Firmware is from drive manufacturer and third parties sometimes have a link. Go to site of drive manufacturer.

That PIO is a problem (okay for cdrw's (to some)), but you want the UDMA for burning movies. If device manager can't change to UDMA, then if you have a System restore point set at a time earlier than problem appearance time, you could try that. This might be the easiest solution as if it works and you have a problem later, then you could do the system restore thing again, but I would try to fix the problem without relying on system restore.

Firmware updates are usually available at cd drive manufacturer website, not Nero.
              Last edited by Quality's Proof; 12 Feb 2004, 08:31 AM.
              Rig :

Comment

• stellarcouple
                • Jul 2003

Ok. Did the firmware thing. No results. Tried to do a System Restore and that didn't do the trick either.
                Thanks for trying to help. I'm putting her in the shop tomorrow.
                I'll let you know what they said.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Jan 2004

You could also try to turn off rig and disconnect cables (ribbon, audio, power) and then start rig up, l;et run 10 minutes, turn rig off, re-connect cables, turn rig back on, let XP install or you click to install, etc.., turn rig off turn back on and then see if working. Only other options I see is do a re-install of windows without new drive installed and then shut-off rig and then hook up cables and the re-start, etc..
                  Rig :

Comment

• stellarcouple
                    • Jul 2003

Ok. Put her in the shop and this is what they did. They said the entire rig was a mess. Over 600 forms of adaware/spyware on the hardrive. Installed Adwatch 3.0. Installed Nero 6. The brand new version. Woo! Hoo! And they didnt tell me that they had done anything internally with the CD Writer. But when I got it home I noticed that my Writer had changed positions from bay 2 to bay 3.
                    They said there was not anything wrong with my writer and other than all the adware that was clogging up the system, nothing was wrong with any software.
                    They recommended a clean install of XP, to get all the mess out and a larger hardrive, since I am storing so many movies. I am running 40g now.
                    They said that the only explanation they had to my problem was that I had contracted an undetectable virus that disabled my writer speed. They also said that I was only running the Express version of Nero. And the express version does not have the ability to reset the speed once it has been disabled. They said that Nero 6 had that capability and that is why they installed it.
                    All in all it was very educational. I got my hardrive cleaned up of most of the spyware that was on it and I got 2 brand new programs. All for just $50 bucks.
                    Money well spent if you ask me.
                    Thanks again for all the help.

J

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Jan 2004

stellarcouple,

Your posting(s) have helped some viewers see the problems with the adware (spyware), that I and some others have been warning folks about. The spyware usually gets on the system with the free downloads (DivX, ets.) which we do our back-ups, home movies, custom movies with. I am sure that the MPAA loves us having problems from the spyware.

Such stuff can also get onto our systems by visiting some sites, without a concious download. Even if we have internet protection running.

That's why I re-installed windows and didn't download some software and didn't re-install Nero, and therefore no problems with the freeware back-up system I use and advised others to also do so.

You done good.
                      Rig :

Comment

Working...