X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AvusBlue
    • Dec 2001

Quick Time "does not understand" MPEG files

Hello,

I have recently downloaded a few .mpg format movies [Edit: the files are not from a P2P source] and when I go to play them I get the following message:

Couldn't open the file because it is not a file that Quick Time understands.

I'm running v6.5 of QT and using Win98 (not SE). My connection is dialup (if that matters) and I use the Real downloader. BTW, I have tried to re-download the files that QT does not understand and I always get the same message. It really does not matter to me whether the movies play in QT or another player so I am open to suggestions for alternatives.

One more thing: At this time I am not trying to burn a copy to DVC/CD etc. I just want to be able to watch the movie from my hard drive.

Thanks so very much!
    Last edited by AvusBlue; 19 Feb 2004, 06:21 AM.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Windows Media Player should have no problem opening mpeg files have you tried that?

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

BSPlayer and IRFan will also. But if it's an MPEG2 you'll need a DVD Player...like PowerDVD...installed on your machine.

Comment

• AvusBlue
        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by ormonde
        Windows Media Player should have no problem opening mpeg files have you tried that?
        I just tried opening one of the files in WMP 7.1 and I immediately noticed a "media changing" message where "Ready" usually is. I downloaded a codec package from M$ yesterday because some movies that were authored in/for WMP would not open. The Error Message that WMP gives me is "Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported." Error code is 80040265.

Thanks for the input and please keep trying!

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

"The Error Message that WMP gives me is "Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported." Error code is 80040265."

Then try BSPlayer as rsquirell suggested.

Comment

• AvusBlue
            • Dec 2001

I've installed BSPlayer and now when I try and open an .wmv file I get an Error Message that says Can't Open File. Would I need to download the files fresh?

Comment

• AvusBlue
              • Dec 2001

Update: I can now play .mpg files using BSPlayer (I like it!) and while the video is great there is no audio (I have turned the volume to max.). I'm only playing MPEG files (not MPEG2).

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

1) Load the original MPEG video file into VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• AvusBlue
                  • Dec 2001

Originally posted by setarip
                  1) Load the original MPEG video file into VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub)
                  Do I want the entire VirtualDubMOD package or should I choose the newest update, 1.5.10.1?

For those who don't know about VirtualDubMOD here's a link. Also, many thanks to setarip.

Comment

• AvusBlue
                    • Dec 2001

Embarrassing Admission time

After rebooting my computer I can now hear audio in all of the MPEG files. I'm embarrassed to admit this because the installation wizard for BSPlayer sort of implied that rebooting was not necessary. So, if the .mpg movies play well in BSP I should not need VirtualDubMOD, correct? Edit: I've been reading up on VirtualDubMOD in the .FAKE FILES??? thread and it seems that VDM is primarily for P2P files. If that is right, then maybe VDM won't be needed as the files in question are not P2P-related.

I read somewhere that I should uncheck the box for .WMV files when installing BSPlayer. Is there a good reason for not using BSP to watch .wmv movies? Problem is, if I don't use BSP for viewing .wmv's then WMP 7.1 gives me an error message
                    Last edited by AvusBlue; 19 Feb 2004, 06:23 AM.

Comment

• AvusBlue
                      • Dec 2001

BTW, before I rebooted my system (when I thought there might be a problem with BSPlayer) I installed the latest version of FFDSHOW after reading the Sticky Post No sound or no video? Read this first!. That is where I saw the note about unchecking .WMV - -

"when asked for the formats/codecs to be played with ffdshow during installation, mark ALL except wmv."

I'm wondering if I still need FFDSHOW now?

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"After rebooting my computer I can now hear audio in all of the MPEG files."

Glad to hear you've resolved your dilemma ;>}

Comment

• AvusBlue
                          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by setarip
                          "After rebooting my computer I can now hear audio in all of the MPEG files."

Glad to hear you've resolved your dilemma ;>}
                          So now the only problem is the .WMV files that won't play in WMP 7.1. I'm wondering if I should just reinstall BSP and check the .wmv box.

Thanks for making me smile, setarip.

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

"So now the only problem is the .WMV files that won't play in WMP 7.1"

They may require Windows Media Player v.9.xx

Comment

Working...