X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ylaurin
    • Mar 2004

DVD decoder problem

Hi everybody,

I got a new PC with DVD and have this error when insert a DVD into the device:

"There is no Windows 2000 compatible DVD decoder installed..."

The DVD is Matsh ita and the laptop is IBM R40.

I've installed Windows Media player.

I don't know what to do from here... Is it OS component or hardware/driver dependent ?

Thanks.
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

"There is no Windows 2000 compatible DVD decoder installed..."
    This would indicate no codec or dvd playback software. You should of gotten a dvd software player with your computer. I use Windvd.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

If I remember correctly, for a Win2000 O/S, in addition to installing a software DVD player such as WinDVD or PowerDVD, you'll also have to download and install an ASPI "layer" software. Do a Googlesearch for "ForceASPI"...

Comment

• Mig$y
        Retired
        • Jan 2004

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by setarip
          If I remember correctly, for a Win2000 O/S, in addition to installing a software DVD player such as WinDVD or PowerDVD, you'll also have to download and install an ASPI "layer" software. Do a Googlesearch for "ForceASPI"...
          I installed Windvd without "force aspi". I think win 2k and win xp has it's own aspi layer kinda built in or something like that. In c:\windows\system32 their are 2 files, dvdplay.exe and dvdupgrd.exe. Right clicking on dvdplay.exe and properties it says something about being part of windows xp. clicking on the file brings up WMP. Clicking on dvdupgrd.exe properties says the same and from Microsoft.
          My question: did micro$ plan on including a dvd player and not, or are these 2 files for a future upgrade. Anybody know or have any thoughts.

Comment

• ylaurin
            • Mar 2004

Fisrt step work... but still issue

I've installed WinDVD (basic for free) - and I can now play the DVD.

Now... When I connect my laptop to my TV with a S-VHS cable, I see my screen's contain in the TV but the film. I've try with WINDVD and other RealPlayer and got the same issue. It's like that I can see everyting except for the movie. I've tried for mpeg and got the same result.

Any Idea ?

The laptop is IBM R40 with built-in ATI Mobility Radeon.

Thanks

Comment

Working...