X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Psyclone
    • Mar 2004

How much is too much?

Hey all,

Just curious as to what level of compression is acceptable.

I have used DVDShrink on a few titles, and after removing unneeded audio and extras and even subtitles, the movies are still seeing an automatic comperssion in the 70's.

I have looked for acceptable percentages, but have yet to see anyone ask and get answered.

I have seen some say that a whole disc at 58% yielded a great disc, but when viewed on a 54 inch widescreen HD tv, is it compairable to the originial? I wouldn't think so, but i have yet to make one under 78% (will usually go with the 2channel rather then the 5.1)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the help!!!
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

Hi Psyclone,

At the end of the day it's up to you. If you have got an enormous TV poorer picture quality will be more noticeable with more compression.

Have a look at Dex's site:

Comment

• sfheath
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Sep 2003

Hi Psyclone .. cool name!

depends entirely on your tv .. just looked at a Daewoo 42" Plasma at lunchtime ... sigh
      This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Psyclone
        • Mar 2004

Thanks!

Thanks for your responces thus far.

I guess what I was looking for is what the others (you the reader) deem acceptable for their viewing pleasure. And, now that its an issue, what size TV they are being viewed on.

I understand if I were to watch a DVD at 50% quality on a small 6.5 inch lcd monitor, I probably wouldn't notice what I would on a large 65 inch widescreen HD sony.

I guess I wont be too worried unless the quality drops below 70%, and then at that time view the dvd and see if i accept it. If not then I will just use the originals in-place of the copies.

Comment

• Mig$y
          Retired
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sfheath
          .. just looked at a Daewoo 42" Plasma at lunchtime
          I've watched a Full Disk Backup of Finding Nemo on a 42" Samsung Plasma screen and in some places pixelation was noticeable although on my home 28" it wasn't noticeable.

sfheath, were you looking to buy the Daewoo...? Wow mate, you get paid too much!

Comment

• Mig$y
            Retired
            • Jan 2004

-> Psyclone.

Just ensure that if your compression falls under 90% to do a Deep Analysis otherwise it will be a lego party on your screen.

Comment

• Crash Override
              • Feb 2004

I have a DLP front projector on a 96" screen, and most compressed discs are unwatchable on it, even employing an external scaler. Artifacts all over the place. I also have a 35" set which is more agreeable to compression, but you can still tell the difference without doing an A/B comparison between the original and compressed discs.
              -= P4/2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 700 GB HD
              -= GeForceFX 5600, Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro

Comment

• Psyclone
                • Mar 2004

hmmm

Sounds good!

I played Daredevil on my 54 inch sony and it was great quality. But as I have stated before, I have only been doing the movie title itself, as to get less compression(still think it was in the low90's high 80's.)

Comment

• Psyclone
                  • Mar 2004

Mig$y

Just ensure that if your compression falls under 90% to do a Deep Analysis otherwise it will be a lego party on your screen
                  What do you mean by "Deep Analysis?"

Are you talking about actually watching it? Or, is there a program or tool that I can use to accomplish this.

And furthermore, thank you to everyone for their extreme paitence in helping me. I have been doing this less then 2 weeks.

sfheath

cool name!
                  Thanks!

Comment

• Mig$y
                    Retired
                    • Jan 2004

You can select a Deep Analysis from your backup options in DVD Shrink. This option will be greyed out for discs that do not require compression.

Running a deep analysis will involve more time but will result in better quality.

Comment

• sfheath
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mig$y
                      I've watched a Full Disk Backup of Finding Nemo on a 42" Samsung Plasma screen and in some places pixelation was noticeable although on my home 28" it wasn't noticeable.

sfheath, were you looking to buy the Daewoo...? Wow mate, you get paid too much!
                      nah .. I just go to Dixons to watch the telly ... funny though ..it was Nemo!!
                      This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...