Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snakeman
    • Apr 2004

no sound question

I used TMPGEnc to convert an AVI file to MPEG, when i did that it make two new files one for the video and one for the sound. Then when i burned the filess using TMPGEnc DVD Author and played it on the dvd player there was no sound all the video was there but no sound. However on another avi file i did the same thing with the sound worked fine, one thing i did notice is on the one that worked the sound file was mpg2 or some thing like that and on the one that didnt work the sound was in wav format. To me this sound like i just did some thing wrong when i was converting it. the AVI sound works just fine so i dont think its a codec problem but then again this is all new to me.

Is there any specific setting that i should use when converting it? Using the wizard in TMPGEnc it selects some thing like EVS video+sound but i see other options like system video +sound (im not sure if these are the right name im at work right now and dont have access to the program) i dont know if those make a difference or not

(EDIT) the file that did work is DIVX and the other that didnt is XVID i dont know if that helps or not
    Last edited by snakeman; 4 Apr 2004, 04:33 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"the one that didnt work the sound was in wav format."

If you PLAY the .WAV file (e.g. in Windows Media Player), is there sound?

Comment

• snakeman
      • Apr 2004

nope no sound

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

1) Load the XviD-compressed .AVI file into VirtualDub (or any of its variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

The audiostream is probably in either .AC3 format or Variable Bitrate MPEG Layer 3 (VBR .MP3).

If it proves to be .AC3:

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to one greater than the highest priority of listed items.. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

If it proves to be VBR:

Simply use VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub), to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
        Using VirtualDubMOD to Convert "VBR" .MP3 to Uncompressed .WAV

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDubMOD (a different program than the standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

3) From the "Streams" dropdown menu, select "Stream List" - and rightclick on the audio stream, then select "Full Processing Mode" - then click on "OK"

4) From the "File" dropdown menu, save the .AVI with a new filename

Comment

• snakeman
          • Apr 2004

here ya go
          Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

The audiostream is in .AC3 format ("unknown tag 2000"). Therefore:

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to one greater than the highest priority of listed items.. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

Comment

• snakeman
              • Apr 2004

ok i clicked on it the hit increased priority and it came out like this in the image. but i tried to play it and theres no audio but i dont know if its supposed to be like just wanna make sure before i burn again wasting more dvds

Comment

• snakeman
                • Apr 2004

forgot to add the image
                Attached Files

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

To snakeman:

By looking at your attached jpg of the "Environment Settings" in TMPGEnc, you set the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" to the "3rd" highest from the top. Do as setarip suggested and move it up to one greater than the highest priority (2nd place), or even to the "Highest" priority.

Comment

• snakeman
                    • Apr 2004

when i moved it to the highest posistion when i run the wizard and go to start the conversion it locks the program up

Comment

• snakeman
                      • Apr 2004

OK ive tried several times with it a the highest priority and when i start the conversion the program locks up

Comment

Working...