Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zackk
    • Apr 2004

Vhs To Dvd-r Help

I CAN SOME ONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE, AS WHAT IS THE BEST QUALITY OF CAPTURING VHS FOOTAGE TO DVD-R

1) I HAVE A PC WITH A 'LEADTEK' 256MB FX5600 WITH A S-VIDEO-IN (ON MY 1GHZ, WIN98SE, 20GB 7,200RPM PC)

2) BUY A CANNON XM2 3CCD DIGITAL CAMCORDER WHICH HAS A S-VIDEO-IN, AND CONNECT THE VCR TO THIS, AND ONCE SAVED ON TO DIGITAL TAPE TRANSFER TO PC (VIA FIREWIRE)

OK WHATS THE BEST ONE FOR QUALITY CAPTURE AND WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OR DISADVANGES OF BOTH THE OPTIONS

THANKS

ZACK UK
  • solo x
    • Apr 2004

Only format i have used and it works real well for is the "PLEXTOR converter" which converts my tapes into mpeg-2 and then i burn to disc.Its pretty much a simple process inwhich i need since i'm not familiar with fiddlin' around with files.It also converts to any analog source(vhs,8mm,dv) into mpeg1-2-4/ Divx.There's also advc-100 by canopus converts from analog to DV,and transfers over to ur pc/mac by firewire and stored on ur HD. These items are less then buying aCANON XM2,THEN IF U COULD AFFORD IT WHY NO...................

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

The DV VidCam can also be used to make....your own videos. I'm told you can find Sony's for $500 range that'll allow pass-thru from the analog source (VCR) thru the firewire to the PC (therefore you're not limited to a short digital tape)...and any video software will capture DV (as AVI...but since you only have 20GB to screw with, may I suggest highly that you also invest in ULead VideoStudio7 which will convert the huge DV-AVI files (would you believe 12GB for 1 hour of video?) to MPEG2 (1/4 the AVI size) on the fly.) If you get serious, explore getting a large external hard drive.

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

I capture vhs to 1/2 D1 (352x480) because you won't get better quality by increasing the resolution only larger files. 1/2 D1 is a full dvd compliant resolution.

Comment

• zackk
          • Apr 2004

Ok thanks for replying, what about the FX5600 (256mb) graphics card (S-video in)would this give the same capture quality as XM2 which comes with a S-video in as well

Zack

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

What about the software that comes with it? Does it allow you to capture in MPEG2? 20 GB is limiting for AVI capture...even with tiger's 1/2 D1 suggestion.

Comment

• tigerman8u
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2003

@ rsquirell. I use Ulead Video Studio 6 (don't have newer 7) and I love the program. Great for adding special affects.
              @ zackk. I would take "rsquirell" advice and try UVStudio. My computer is a P4 1.7 and I use ULStudio and capture to mpeg2 without any dropped frames with great results. This would save on file size and the time it takes to encode the avi to mpeg. IMO I don't see any difference in quality.

Comment

Working...