Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meirionwyllt
    • Feb 2004

Problem with QTReader plugin...

I am trying to open mov files in the TMPGEnc wizard so that they can be converted to another format, eventually MPEG-2. The mov files I load into it have come from my digital camera. They work fine in QuickTime, but TMPGEnc says something like "cannot open or is insupported" even with the QTReader plugin unzipped and placed in the TMPGEnc directory. Please help fellas, cheers.
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

Is it one of those new SONY micro movie cameras? With the MMV extension on video files? They play in, and are somehow linked to QT, but are to my knowledge not MOV files; they're MPEG-2s of some sort. If this be the case, you need to convert them to some other format that TMPGEnc can read, such as MOVs, or better yet MPEGs, most likely with the software that came with the camera.

Comment

• meirionwyllt
      • Feb 2004

No, my digital camera is just an ordinary Olympus one, and the files actually have a MOV extension. I don't know what type of MOV they are because when I go to movie properties inside QuickTime it doesn't tell me whether the files are Cinepak or Sorenson.

And as regards to converting them, this is precisely why I'm trying to use the QT plugin to open them in TMPGEnc. My camera software doesn't have a converter, only a program that plays MOVs.

Can you help me further?

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

I love Google!!
        It gave me http://www.astronomy.com/community/f...?TOPIC_ID=6519 ...which gave me .... http://www.videohelp.com/mov2avi.htm
        Good luck
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• megamachine
          Video Fiddler
          • Mar 2003

Sorry, just on a hunch thought it'd be one of those SONY MMVs. Not sure why the QT plugin would not work on TMPGEnc. I've had no problem with that, just did one last night, in fact. Only some guesses here, in no particular order. Have you searched the forums for problems with that plugin? Instead of the wizard, try loading your file directly into the Audio and Video windows and see if that makes a difference. Is the QT reader in the first level directory of TMPGEnc, the same place where the EXE file is? Perhaps it got corrupted in downloading, maybe you need to download it again. When you open TMPGEnc, go to Options - Environmental Settings and see if the Quicktime Movie Reader appears in the list. Try raising it up in the list a bit and see if that helps. That's all I can think of for now. RadTools, as SF suggests in the link above, works great, too, but you'll end up with an AVI, which if uncompressed can be quite a large file, and which you'll then have to convert to MPEG-2 with TMPGEnc. Hope this helps.
          Last edited by megamachine; 20 May 2004, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Working...