X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • badabbing
    • May 2004

DVD Pausing and freezing

Hello all,

I've recently experienced some pausing and skipping on recent DVD's that I have burned. I have had no issues whatsoever prior to upgrading my burner to a new ND-2500a +r/rw -r/rw, I was previously using a ND-1100a with the latest version of Shrink and having DVD Shrink do everything, analize, encode and burn with Nero 6.0. I am using Memorex 4X DVD+r media and like I said I have never had a problem. Since upgrading to the new drive it has been giving me some problems. One thing I should mention is that Nero and the NEC-2500a is recognizing the 4x media as 6x media when Nero starts the burn and I have been going with that (hey faster is better, right?), and maybe that's the issue it's just buring the media at a speed it can't handle (I'll sacrifice lower burning speed for a stable DVD). I have used about 70 of these disks so far with the ND-110a and not one coaster but since the drive upgrade I have wasted about three DVD media. Next time I make a B-Up I will force it down to 4x and hopefully it will fix this pausing and pixelazation issue.

LOL...
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

hi badabbing,

It seems like you know what the problem is

Try at a lower speed, see if it helps. If you are using an early verion of Nero 6, do an update.

If you insist on writing at x6 don't multi-task as you burn.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"One thing I should mention is that Nero and the NEC-2500a is recognizing the 4x media as 6x media"

There is no such thing as "6X" media - Perhaps you meant "8X". In any event, selecting "4X" should resolve your problem. As an alternative, you might want to see if there's a firmware update available for your new burner, that may allow it to burn properly at 8X...

Comment

• badabbing
        • May 2004

I will update the firmware tonight and manually select 4x as the maximum speed when writing. I will post my findings.
        Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"Thanks to all for your help."

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

• badabbing
            • May 2004

Hi All,

The issue with the burn failure was due to the burner wanting to write at 6x to a 4x media, I manually slowed the process dwon to 4x and it essentially fixed that. However I'm having a peculiar freezing issue, sometimes I insert a movie in the reader I open Shrink and the system halts. I have to reset the computer in order to even eject the media, it will freeze with or without and blank, before or after I start Shrink, with or without files in the target rip folder and with forceASPI installed with a W/XP OS. As always any input is greately appreciated.

LOL,
            SC

Comment

• badabbing
              • May 2004

I was overclocking my system just a tad from 2.8 actual to 3.02 BIOS overclocked, of course just a tad sometimes is a huge amount depending on what you're doing so I reset the clock back to the actual clock speed and I'm going to try to see if that has any effect on this freezing issue. My guess is . I will post my results.

Comment

• badabbing
                • May 2004

Here are my results on freezing.
                After some various Shrinking and burning I have determined that my issues were related to overclocking the CPU, of course the overclock percentage was only 10% but that translated into a OS locking up when initiating the analization of the media.

In short, use caution when applying changes to the system with regards to BIOS configurations, they have adverse effects not only to performance but the actual ability of the system to do its tasks.

I hope this helps anyone that's having freezing PC issues, I can tell you this forum has helped me.

Thanks again.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

It's a well known fact that DVD Shrink (and, likely, most DVD compression programs) and overclocking don't "get along"...

Comment

• TKMzPrince
                    • Jun 2004

Would anyone know why DVDShrink + OC dont get along? I'm about to overclock a P4 3.4E to way over it's limits and I really don't want my video programs to come to a halt because of it.

Comment

Working...