Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rudikma
    • Jan 2004

Best Compressor

Hello !! I have this folder of video stuff tht its size is 27.2 Gb i would like to do a back up of it. Of course i would burn the back up on a DVD-R. But i dont wanna use 6 dvd-rs backin it up. So which is the best compressor I could use to back up ALL the files. THNX
  • KenK2
    • Jun 2004

Dvd Shrink

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"I have this folder of video stuff"

What is the format of, "video stuff"?

Comment

• Rudikma
        • Jan 2004

In the folder their is all kinds of stuff i used on the video. Like MP3, Jpeg, AVI files, MPEG2 files and Premiere Pro files.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

1) Use TMPGEnc's DVD template/"wizard" to convert the .AVIs, MPEG-2s, and Premiere Pro files to DVD-compliant MPEG-2 files

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

Comment

• TKMzPrince
            • Jun 2004

the best compressor is WinACE, with WinRAR a close second. I'm not sure, but I believe i read somewhere on the net that Stuffit is better than WinACE. Either way, those three aren't that much different. Keep in mind, this is only for compressing files, not compressing into DVD format. Also, this won't save you from using 6 DVD's. And converting an MPEG file (I'm guessing it's compressed) into to DVD format would actually make you use a hell of a lot more DVDs than 6.

I'm almost certain about this because (single layer) DVD's can hold 2-4 hours of video at 4.3Gb, while compressed video (mpeg or whatever else you got) can hold many, many more hours in 4.3Gb.
            Like MP3's, they're compressed into about 5Mb (average) for 1 song at good quality. So in a 700Mb CD, you can hold about 140 MP3 songs. If you convert the songs into CD format, there's no way you'll be able to put all 140 songs in CD format because CD format only allows 80 mins (upto 99 mins). So you'd use a grip of CD's to backup your files in CD format. Even at the lowest sound quality.

All you can do is really just burn the files onto your DVD, use 6 of them. Compressing already compressed files (mpeg, avi in divx format, jpg, mp3) won't give you much, if any, compression. It may even make some files bigger... don't ask, it just happened to me a couple times. If I guessed wrong about compressing already compressed files, ignore my whole post =], except the mp3 part.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To TKMzPrince

Most, if not all, of what you've posted is not releveant to the initial post by "Rudikma"...

Comment

• Rudikma
                • Jan 2004

I dont want to do a DVD Back Up. I want to do the back up like in ZIP or RAR but i think even with those it will be big files. I think my best coice is to buy a HD

Comment

• TKMzPrince
                  • Jun 2004

my logic is skewed, sorry.

i thought he was thinking that he would be able to considerably compress 27 Gb's of data or "video stuff" into something smaller in order to back them up in less than 1 or 2 DVDs.

Comment

Working...