• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeylikess99
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Sep 2003

computer problems

hi there dont know if im posting in the right area , but here goes. im running xp os and i am gettin a run time error when i open just one folder on my drive. all my other folders are ok . the actual error states
    microsoft visual c++ runtime library error
    program c:\windows\explorer.exe

thanks inadvance for any help you can help with ...mike
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"microsoft visual c++ runtime library error"

This is usually indicative of a corrupted .dll file. Perform a "system restore".

You do have a backup copy of the contents of this "problematic" folder, don't you?
    Last edited by setarip; 16 Jul 2004, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• mikeylikess99
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Sep 2003

hi setarip

hi thanx for the response.....and no back up of his folder..i guess i should....mike

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Have you performed a "system restore"?

Comment

• mikeylikess99
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Sep 2003

hi setarip....

yeah..permormed system restore and no go ...still get that same error...am gonna do your other suggestion and make another folder, and put that data in it and delte the rin time folder....if this dont work, i guess ill need to re do the operating sys....thanks mike

Comment

• mikeylikess99
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Sep 2003

hi setarip....

i just noticed now..that if i list the coinents of folder as icon as it was when i completed the new folder, it is good, as soon as i go to view the folders contents as a thumbnail i get this error..so if there in icon its fine, but as soon as i go to thumbnail it screws up with run time error...thanks mike

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"thanks"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Sep 2003

hi setarip

well i belief the problem could be a codecs one. i installed the ace codecs pac and the folder worked fine. thumbnails and all , but then it stopped responding. i wonder if theres a way around this ordeal...thanx....like perhaps a less conflictual codecs pac..

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

You should ONLY install the SPECIFIC codecs that you need - codec "packs" can wreak havoc on your system...

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • Sep 2003

thanx setarip...

i guess i need to figure out which one i need now. ive got k lite codec pac..and it dont seem right either,,,think i need to start over...thanx mike,..

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Sep 2003

hi setarip....

hi there have another very frustrating problem, hopefully u can help me out. i have a p4 2.4 cpu and asus p4p800 mobo, and im findin in order to boot up everythime im havin to reset the bios. i cant belief this. everytime i do the bios it boots up. if i shut it down i get the black screen with the following "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot disk in selected media. i have a raid o configuration. any help would be greatly appreciated. when i was at buddys house earlier it rebooted np everytime, but here in my own house it gives me this error. i cant for life of me figure it out..thanx mike..

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"when i was at buddys house earlier it rebooted np everytime, but here in my own house it gives me this error."

(Just kidding ;>}) Maybe you should move in with your buddy...

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Sep 2003

hi setarip

hi there, maybe i should....no all jokin aside, were starting to think it could be p.s perhaps....other than that i have no clue....thanx mike

Comment

• ormonde
                            Digital Video Explorer
                            • Dec 2003

"if i shut it down i get the black screen with the following "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot disk in selected media."

I think you may have reached the point that you should backup all your pertinent data, format your HD and re-install everything. (OS and programs). I personally do this once a year. It's the only way to truly get rid of pesky problems and conflicts-gets everything back to a "Clean" state.

Comment

Working...