Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evaldas
    • Jul 2004

Problem with subtitles

I've just processed a film and inserted subtitles from an *.ssa file using VirtualDub. Everything is almost fine except for quality of subtitles. They look nicely, but sometimes, for some kind of a reason, they get "scratched", black pixels appear in letters. What could cause such a distortion? How could I fix it?
    Attached Files
  • WildmanJoe
    • Jan 2003

Just my 2-cents after being away for almost a year... don't mux the subs into the movie. Use an external subtitle file like *.srt or (*.idx + *.sub) and then load them when playing. Media Player Classic is an ideal choice for this.

Otherwise use gordionknot to mux the *.idx + *.sub files. You need vobsub for this.

Comment

• Evaldas
      • Jul 2004

No, no, no, no, no! I want to watch this film on a DVD player, so I will convert it to VCD. This format does not support selectable subtitles...

To tell the truth, it is the first time I encounter this problem. It used to work... Always... Without any distortion...

Comment

• Phytrax
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Jul 2004

Maybe your compression is higher for a longer movie??

By the way, your response sounds pretty rude to someone graciously trying to help you.

Comment

• Evaldas
          • Jul 2004

Well, you kinda right about compression... I used DivX (low motion) codec for that film. In order to maintain the DVD quality, I set the bitrate to maximum (6000 kbps). I got a huge (4,5 GB) file for a film of 1,5 h length. I did the following with the sound: no compression, PCM, wav, 48 kHz. I did that for a better compatibility (some converters do not accept compressed sound).

Now, after changing the codec to XviD (and setting the bitrate to maximum, of course), my problem was solved: high quality subtitles were succesfully inserted to a DVD quality video.

And sorry about that rough voice... I didn't want my reply seem so rude...

Comment

• Phytrax
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Jul 2004

At that bitrate everything should be VERY clear, so I don't know. I usually get around DVD quality at 1800kbps.

Comment

• Evaldas
              • Jul 2004

Everything is perfectly clear, indeed. Actually, you're right - 1800kbps would be sufficient, but for the last time I used that, fast motion suffered a weird colour distortion: during fast motion the image covered with ugly squares.
              Attached Files

Comment

• WildmanJoe
                • Jan 2003

I'm cool guys, glad you solved your problem.

Comment

• Evaldas
                  • Jul 2004

By the way, WildmanJoe, you mentioned Windows Media Player Classic was a perfect tool to watch a film with external subtitles. But everytime I try to load them, I get this message:

"To load subtitles you have change the video renderer type and reopen the file
                  - DirectShow...
                  - RealMedia...
                  - Quicktime...
                  - ShockWave..."

So what's wrong with my player?

Comment

Working...