X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

Ripping and Translating Japanese Subtitles

I have some DVDs with Japanese audio and subtitles, and would like to rip the subtitles to translate them to English and then add them back to a copy of the DVD. Anyone done this? Any advice appreciated.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

You may have to convert the DVDs to AVI files and use "VOBSub" in conjunction with VirtualDub. Have you looked into this?

Comment

• megamachine
      Video Fiddler
      • Mar 2003

I`ve used VobSub and VDub with English subtitles, but have no experience with Japanese character sets. I would need the Japanese subtitles in a separate file that can be understood by a Japanese word processor, for working on the translation.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

I wish you luck.......

Comment

• WildmanJoe
          • Jan 2003

Firstly you need to have Jap fonts enabled on your system. Rip the subtitles using VSubrip (vobsub). You should get a *.idx and *.sub file. Open the files using SubResync and save as a different format. You will need to manually enter each character. e.g. l (to ri) has to be entered using the hiragana form (which I do not know). Once you have all these in a text file, you can copy them over to a word processor or use babelfish at altavista.

Comment

• megamachine
            Video Fiddler
            • Mar 2003

Thanks Joe, that's what I was looking for!

Comment

Working...