X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steelsteed
    • Aug 2004

Xvid fails to work after install XP SP2

Hi All,

I am having a big problem. After installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, I cannot seem to play any xvid files. when I hover over or select an xvid file with explorer, it crashes .. says that explorer.exe had to close blah blah .. it reckons the file in question is xvid.ax ... I then updated to latest version of xvid I could find ... a XviD-1.0.1-05062004.exe It still does the same thing ... crashes just that it now says its xvid.dll thats causing it.
    I reckon Crappy SP2 is gonna make a lot of headaches for people as MS never does anything properly first time. If I manage to click the file fast enough before explorer crashes, then it opens in windows media player, which then also crashes, followed shortly by explorer.exe

So .. has anyone else that has SP2 had this problem ?
    Does anyone know of a solution ? Other than getting rid of SP2 that is.

This is really annoying me.

Regards,

Steelsteed.
  • ziadost
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

i have xp sp2 installed, and the ONLY problem i encountered was with DIVX, not xvid.... i have the latest xvid installed, and also the latest divx (v5.2)... divx caused explorer to crash every time i right-clicked a file... all i did was un-install divx, and sp2 worked fine. if you have divx installed, uninstall it

good luck
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

My xvid videos are playing fine for me. haven't tried divx yet. Just installed SP2 today.

Comment

• ziadost
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

just to clarify my earlier post http://forums.divx.com/viewtopic.php...=60618&forum=5

Comment

• Easier Way?
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Jan 2003

Would it be best not to install SP2 for a while?

Comment

• ziadost
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

in my opinion, go ahead and install it!

as i said, i have had no problems whatsoever, and my computer is packed with software

if you are worried about the divx problem, just install xvid, and use it to play back your divx movies until an sp2 compatible divx version comes out

Comment

Working...