Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rudikma
    • Jan 2004

What kind of video card?

I am just wandering, What kind of video cards you guys have? and which one would you recomend me getting.
  • ziadost
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

LOL very sort of broad question

if it were up to me, you'd get an ati radeon x800 xt , but depending on most people's budgets, that ain't much of an option

the X800 is unbelievably awesome... releatively quiet, nice features, lots of raw processing power

the Geforce 6800 GT is awesome as well, but on the other hand, it sucks.... it takes up waaaay too much power, and in some cases even takes up 2 expansion slots, its heavy and very noisy

if i had $1000 to spend on a video card, i'd definately get the Radeon X800 XT, even though the geforce 6800 has slightly newer technoglogy

but if you are on a budget, the Radeon 9800 series is very good

check out my signature for my system's specs
    Last edited by anonymez; 1 Sep 2004, 02:06 PM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Easier Way?
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Jan 2003

I've just got a leadtek Winfast TV2000XP delux for a big hardware upgrade. It's one of the cheapest leadtek options as I didn't want hardware mpeg2 encoding. It cost gbp35 (~50 usd/euro) and it is a big improvement on my previous asus 7100 combi. I can capture using DivX/MP3 and I'm very pleased with it.
      It can use nearly any video or sound codec and the quality looks just as good as the best TV I can get - PAL digital satellite scart rgb, converted down to s-video for the PC. I'm sure it is too cheap to be that good!
      If your PC is fairly fast you can try out various software encoding methods. I have only been using mine for a few days and I'm currently comparing the DivX 1 pass quality method with Huffyuv lossless codec capture.
      A fast PC and a really good quality source are very important.

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

I'd say it depends what you want to do with the video card. I got the ATI AIW pro 9000 because I wanted to do video captures. For gaming purposes thier are better cards IMO.

Comment

• Rudikma
          • Jan 2004

Well the video card i would mostly be using it to put video in my computer.

Comment

Working...