Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Rookhuyzen
    • Sep 2004

VHS to DVD Dazzle DVC 150

Has anyone out there tried the Dazzle DVC 150 for converting VHS to DVD? I'm thinking of buying one and would like some in-put
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

I picked one up a couple of years ago and still use it. It makes a lossless digital copy. There was a bit of a learning curve a couple of years ago because the accompanying software left a lot to be desired....but a year ago Pinnacle picked it up...so the software has undoubtedly improved. I don't use Pinnacle software (altough I'm sure it works good)...I capture with the DVXCEL Test Utility (which may not be an option with the new Pinnacle Version). The hardware, itself, is superb.

Comment

• Jack Rookhuyzen
      • Sep 2004

I was wondering because the Dazzle specs do not say it will capture directly from a VHS Analog signal. I find there is often more learned by what they don't say on the box.

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

just hook up the vcr or camcorder to the device using the rca composite cables (or S Video)....and the device to your pc via USB2 port (if you don't have USB2 get a card...you need the high speed access for maximum clarity...the DVC 150 will capture well at bit rates up to 8000kbps.) Since the new software is Pinnacle Studio (which I don't use) I'd suggest going to the Pinnacle forum where knowledgable users can help you tweak the performance of the software. It's a very good device...and what you see on the tape you'll see on the pc. But if I had it all to do over again....I'd be tempted to look at some of the new Sony DV cams with analog imput ports. They cost twice as much...but you can feed a VCR tape thru the analog ports on the camera to the pc as dv thru the firewire...AND be able to feed the home dv videos thru as dv as well. Still...the analog vhs tapes won't look any better than what you can get by using the DVC-150...and if all you want is to convert your VHS library to digital...I highly recommend the DVC-150.

Comment

• Jack Rookhuyzen
          • Sep 2004

Thanks for the information. Basicly all I want to do is convert all of my VHS to DVD. I have also been looking at the Adaptec AVC 2210/2410, USB hardware in the VideOh! Media Center Kit. They are priced about $30.00 more. Any price (under $200.00) would be worth it if the conversion is hassel free.

Comment

• technochic
            • Sep 2004

Dazzle

I bought it about a year and a half ago. I captured video fine but I hated the movie editing software and although the menus and ability to add music were nice features, I always had bugs in the final product. Anyway, I was due for a new DVD Player so I picked up a Philips dvdrecorder DVDR77 for $300 and download my tapes to a DVD+RW. I decrypt them using DVD Decryptor which takes about 5 minutes and then use Nero 6 (Nervision) to edit, add menus, transitions, etc and burn. Works great. I suppose you could capture the video using Dazzle and go through the same process I do depending on the file output. I never tried that. I didn't want to tie up my computers doing tape transfer. I run the tapes overnight to record (all recording not matter what you use is done in real time) and then edit and burn them when I have time on my computer. Good luck

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

there are lots of ways to do everything....but beware of cheap solutions...ie. the DVC80 sells for $60...and you'll get something on your pc if you use it....but the clarity and resolution is really bad...and does not look as good as the original tape (an understatement.)

Comment

• Jack Rookhuyzen
                • Sep 2004

Thanks for the information...Birthday is coming up...I'll see what I end up with...It will either be Dazzler, or Adaptec. I didn't reaize all of the burning was done in real time. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Working...