Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adam_909
    • Sep 2004

avi to dvd aspect ratios to big?

hi all, i'm sorry if this topic has been brought up before.

i'm converting an anime avi to dvd, the specs of the avi are.

640x480 (1.33:1) [=4:3]
    bit rate 771 kb/s
    fps 23.97
    audio bitrate 128 kb/s (64/ch, stereo) CBR 48000 Hz

but the problem is after i'm finished putting everything on to a dvd and play in in different stand alone players the resolution is to big or something for for the tv. the tv cuts off the surounding edges of the picture.

encoding processes iv'e tried.

converted using tmpg with both a pal and ntsc at a dar 1:1.33, full screen keep aspect ratios. and used tmpg author to create menu's and burn a perfect dvd besides the picture size.

anyone that can answer this would be great help thanks from all of us that might have this problem.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Use VirtualDub (or VirtualDubMOD) to add left and right black bars (40 pixels each) to increase the .AVI's image size to 720x480 (NTSC DVD conforming)...

Comment

• adam_909
      • Sep 2004

Thank you for the fast responce, I've looked into both programs and i can't find any settings that add borders, or NTSC DVD conforming...

This is where i get a stupid answer for a stupid question.

But anyone maybe want to tell me where the options for this is?

Comment

• adam_909
        • Sep 2004

K nevermind i figured that out my self, I created an avi with the 2 black bars, and the output res is at 720x480 i used NeroVision Express 2 to convert to a dvd compliance standard with the same res. and then used tmpg author and still have the same problems..

any idea's

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

" used NeroVision Express 2 to convert to a dvd compliance standard with the same res."

Why would you possibly switch from using TMPGEnc to NeroVision Express?

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
          (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Comment

• adam_909
            • Sep 2004

Well thanks for all the answers.

I started to use nerovision express 2 instead because it makes compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format at a very fast rate without any problems besides the one i just had.

I figured out the problem i was having.

for some reason nerovision express 2 had some glitch in it. i reinstalled and everything is working fine now.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Glad to hear that you've resolved your dilemma - but speed isn't everything (QUALITY is more important and that's why TMPGEnc is faviored by many)...

Comment

Working...