Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimV
    • Oct 2004

Cannot play AVI file

I'm having trouble playing this AVI. It doesn't play in Winamp, Media Player classic or MS Media Player. It seems I have the required codecs installed (or so GSpot v2.21 reports). What could be wrong here? Why doesn't it play? Any thoughts? Below are the details from GSpot.

---------------------------------------------
    This is a valid AVI file.

The filesize is 374 MB (or 383,440 KB or 392,642,560 bytes).
    Of that, roughly 333 MB (89%) is video data; the remaining 40.8 MB (11%) is audio. This file has 392 bytes of extra "garbage" at the end that is not part of the data yet is not marked as "junk" either. This is not usually a serious problem, however, and is unlikely to cause a problem.
    The following codecs should both capable of processing this format:

--> {Ligos Indeo® XP Video 5.2}
    --> {Indeo® Video 5.2 Decompression Filter}

DirectShow is apparently able to play the file as well (see "DirectShow Render", below),
    Audio Format:
    Code: PCM Audio

This audio is not compressed, or is compressed using a very simple method. As such, there is no 'codec' required to play it; all or the necessary software is already 'built in to' the O/S

The audio for this file should play fine.
    DirectShow partially succeeded to play file. The actual text of the error or warning is:

0x00040242: VFW_S_PARTIAL_RENDER - Some of the streams in this movie are in an unsupported format.

The following combination of filters were used:

{D:\Documenten en Sett..-..ezijnangstoverwon.avi} (Audio Source)
    {AVI Splitter} (Audio Splitter)
    {Default DirectSound Device} (Audio Renderer)
    Attached Files
  • TimV
    • Oct 2004

And yes, I've read all the stuff in other threads and I have tried FFDSHOW and various different versions of the Indeo codec.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"Audio Format:
      Code: PCM Audio"

It's extremely likely that you are the proud possessor of a phony file. If indeed the audio WAS PCM (which is Uncompressed .WAV format), it would be far larger than 40.8Mbs of this file...

Comment

• TimV
        • Oct 2004

Its not a phony file. I made it myself, however quite some time ago and on another computer. So you think the audio track may be damaged? Could this be why it doesn't play? Is there any way to repair errors like these?
        Last edited by TimV; 9 Oct 2004, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...