X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

Tmpgenc Plus Problem! Jerky!

please help! i have a problem converting my avi's in tmpgenc plus to mpeg-2. they are off file sharing networks, the file name always has hdtv in it and they are all 23.976 fps and codec in properties says xvid. file extension of all of them is .avi

i go through the steps but i get get errors saying cannot open or unsupported. so i raise the environment setting directshow multimedia to highest. that solves that problem but then the frame rate shows 29.97 fps now on the encoding screen and the finished file is now jerky.

original files play perfect. i have the proper codecs i'm sure lastest divx and xvid etc. its a shame cause the picture quality is amazingly good but only that jerky picture problem!

see, occaisionaly i can get a file to encode without having to raise the environment settings it shows 23.976 fps on the encoding screen, and when this is the case, the result is perfect!

but if the environment setting is raised they will ALWAYS encode the whole file, but only it now shows 29.97 fps!!!! and whenever it shows that, it's jerky!!!!!!!!!!! please i need help. ty in advance
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

• Rockyadrian
    • Oct 2004

I kinda don't understand your post. But....

I have a guide that allows avi to svcd conversion if it helps. It covers setting the frame rate right to making menus on your svcd.

I think i encounted a similar problem but it is difficult to understand what your post says. Iam assuming

You have downloaded some DivX movies.
    They play fine on your PC.
    But when you convert them to mpeg-2 and burn them they play jerky on your Standalone DVD but not on your PC's DVD drive.

Please confirm this.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

sorry for not being clear, my mistake. i can't believe i forgot to mention that i am converting all of these avi's to dvd.i just put in a different version of tmpgenc plus and its doin the same thing.

the way i understand it, i must use tmpgenc plus to encode the avi's, (they come out in 2 files m2v and another one), then i put them through tmpgenc dvd author 1.6. then i would have vob files to burn.(is this a good process?)is there something better i should be doing?like i said, tmpgenc plus comes out with a beautiful picture, but that damn jerkyness(you know when the screen pans or cars drive etc, you can notice it.)i'm really starting to get frustrated with this. i have been using the free version of tmpgenc for a year making vcd's with great success).i just dont know what to do....

i have not burned any mpeg-2 on disc. i let tmpgenc plus encode it for about 30 seconds or so, then i hit abort so i can see how it is gonna turn out. all of the originals play perfect.

THIS IS THE WEIRD PART: why should my raising the environment directshow setting, change the frame rate in "other settings"?

when i raise directshow it says 29.97fps. when i have environment settings on default, it says 23.976(29.97fps internally). what the heck?

if i try to go "un-lock" the framerate option it doesn't even have the "23.976(29.97fps internally)" selection in there! it vanished when the environment directshow was jacked up!like i said it switches to 29.97fps(that's when it jerks)

IF I COULD ONLY HAVE THE ENVIRONMENT DIRECTSHOW RAISED AAAAAND THE "23.976(29.97FPS INTERNALLY)" SELECTION I BET IT WOULD ALL BE FINE.

i need to raise the environment settings to get past those errors like: can not open or unsupported etc.(it works all the time in the free version)it's gotta be me just doin something wrong.....

i appreciate your help.
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

In TMPGEnc, under the advanced tab, put a checkmark next to deinterlace and select "Even field [adaptation])" or "Even-Odd field [field, adaptation])"...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

tmpgenc problem jerky

i tried both ways you suggested setarip to no avail. still not smooth. is it really this hard to make a good dvd?sorry for the duplicate post, my mistake. what can i try next?
          Columbo moments...

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"i tried both ways you suggested setarip to no avail."

Are you CERTAIN that the checkmark remained?

Other than this, I have no additional suggestions. When you download the work product of others (rather than creating your own), you never know what you're going to get - Sometimes, "you get what you pay for"...
            Last edited by setarip; 7 Nov 2004, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• Rockyadrian
              • Oct 2004

Try looking at these guides:

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

ty so much rocky, that link had the best guide i have seen. it wasn't all slopped together like some guides on the net. this right here did it:

If your input is 23.976fps: set this to "23.976 fps (internally 29.97fps). ( IMPORTANT: This setting will not be available until you first set the "Encode Mode" setting further down the Video Tab settings to "3:2 Pulldown when playback".)

now it plays as smooth as the original---beautiful ty again.

by the way, what is the difference between encoding it as 1 stream or "2 elementary streams?" i have been using 2 streams for tmpgenc dvd author 1.6 successfully.
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• Rockyadrian
                  • Oct 2004

Glad I was able to help.

I'll get back to you on the Streams.

Comment

Working...