• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grinch
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Sep 2004

Audio transfer problem

I have just begun trying to transfer VCR tapes to DVD. Useing a VCR deck connected with a ATI 9000 Pro card. Software is Win DVD Cinema. I have no sound card on this machine and am useing the Audio package that came with the board. I can capture the movie and open it back up with "shrink". But the audio is not clear. When anything is played through the computer the sound is fine, DVD backups work well ect., but when these files(VCR) are played back the audio is bad. Anyone have an idea which direction to start in to solve the problem?

Note: Tryed both RCA type and cable type connections between the machines.
    Seems to be a back ground or machine noise of some find.
    Getting sound but very poor quailty.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

Presumably with no sound card you are using onboard sound?
    Presumably you have also checked your audio mixer sliders?
    Lastly, have you monitored the audio out sockets of the VCR with headphones or active speakers to check quality?
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Grinch
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Sep 2004

Yes, all of that is working and correct. I get audio from the VCR and can play and watch a movie on the monitor. The sound at that point is good. It's not that I get no sound when trying to Burn a disc, its the quality is very poor. Sounds faint and far away.
      I am loseing it in the recording of the VCR tape. If I open the file where the imformation from the tape is stored and play it, the sound is poor at that point.
      I'm not sure if its the ATI card or another peace of hardware or a software problem. Looking for the best direction to go before trying to replace hardware or software.
      Also, have back up many DVD discs and all work fine, this is my first try at VCR Tapes.

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

In your capture application, have you got sound switched to your line input if that's the socket you're using? Could be you are pulling up the soundtrack embedded in the video?
        If it were merely too low but good quality, VirtualDubMod can boost it during a file conversion.

Comment

• Grinch
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Sep 2004

I'm not sure.
          I'll have to look at the programs better to see if any of the things you referred to apply.
          The connection from the VCR to the ATI card is made by three RCA type plugs and the connection into the card is an adapter that came with the card that goes from RCA a special S type plug. The signal to that point seems to be strong. Playing it thruough the card and watching it on the monitor with the desk top speakers works well. It's in the playback that it doesn't. It don't know if its recorded poorly or if I lose it someware in the play back. How can I check and see which one it is?

Comment

• sfheath
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Sep 2003

Seems strange (but good!) you can watch a video and sound is ok.
            From that I'd say the hardware is ok and go for a menu item somewhere in the capture app.
            On an earlier PC I had the first generation ATI AIW and had to get a soundcard because the tuner wouldn't play sound through my USB speakers.
            I see the 9000 has SP/DIF - I guess the VCR doesn't?

Only thing that should affect playback regards you question, is the mixer sliders.

Comment

• Grinch
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Sep 2004

Yes, thats just it. I don't know if I need a sound card or not. Seems like it should work through the system board with the on board sound. I don't want to add a sound card to this machine if I don't have to. I looked at all the audio sliders and controls and all look fine. I still have to check the settings you referred too.

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

Another thought: check your 'recording device' in Sound Options in the Control Panel - you may need to switch from ATI to onboard chip or vice versa.

Comment

Working...