Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dolomite41
    • Jul 2003

Help on Codec

I need help on codecs...what are the best ones to use. IM havin probs playin my movies
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

There are many codecs - you might run VirtualDubMod on one of your problem movies and post a screenshot of 'File Information' here
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• dolomite41
      • Jul 2003

Thanks for the reply...Here is the virtdub image....along with this..i have a prob playin AVI files.....If you could help me, i would like to know what codecs i need to play ALL files....
      Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Install the FFDShow filter. This filter, by itself, should make most, if not all, of your .AVIs playable...

You should also download and install an .AC3 filter/codec for playback of .AC3 audio ("Unknown tag 2000" in your File Information screengrab)

Comment

• dolomite41
          • Jul 2003

HOw about TMPGE sometimes it only converts the video and not the audio

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

The audiostream is probably in either .AC3 format or Variable Bitrate MPEG Layer 3 (VBR .MP3).

If it proves to be .AC3:

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to one greater than the highest priority of listed items.. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

If it proves to be VBR:

Simply use VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub), to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
            Using VirtualDubMOD to Convert "VBR" .MP3 to Uncompressed .WAV

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDubMOD (a different program than the standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

3) From the "Streams" dropdown menu, select "Stream List" - and rightclick on the audio stream, then select "Full Processing Mode" - then click on "OK"

Comment

• dolomite41
              • Jul 2003

I put the FFDshow on my computer and the AC3 codec..i can play my AVi's but i dont have any sound in them..the only sound i have is in the MPGS HEre is a screen shot of it all.

Comment

• dolomite41
                • Jul 2003

The file again

Video
                Attached Files

Comment

• dolomite41
                  • Jul 2003

Audio

Audio
                  Attached Files

Comment

• dolomite41
                    • Jul 2003

Sorry TOo Small

small
                    Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Your multiple screen shots are of VIDEO codecs, while your stated problem is now only regarding audio - which should have been resolved by installing the .AC3 filter/codec...

Comment

• dolomite41
                        • Jul 2003

I put the screen shots on so you could see all of my codecs..sometimes when i play my AVI..my computer will say that the EXPLORER is ending...then all my programs restart....If i put them in TMPEG then it will only encode my audio...installed the AC3 and ffdshow and it still wont play my files...i put the screen shots on there so you could tell me what i need to take off and what i need to use...would it be wise to delete all my codecs then install the FFDSHOW and AC3 codecs again..What part of the FFDSHOW should i install they have it so you can make it custom..should i select all and put it all on my comp?

Comment

• dolomite41
                          • Jul 2003

Still having problems...if i put a AVI file in TMPGE it makes my windows shut down for half of my AVIS...when i do the other half it only wants to encode the audio... ANY HELP?????

Comment

Working...