Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wedge1
    • Dec 2004

8mm film to dvd

pardon my extreme newbie behavior if this topic has already been discussed. I have 1,000+ feet of 8mm film and would like to archive this to dvd using the most accurate format with the least information loss. (i.e. frame for frame, full frame capture) andi have been on the web searching for info, but everyone who does this has their own opinion. my question is: what is the best format to save this to? is it vob or avi, etc. And finally, can you go from film to DV and not have significant technical difficulties. thanks
  • stevens17379
    • Dec 2004

8mm to dvd

If it were me and I wanted to do this I would do as follows.
    I would set up my video screen, get a digital camera with firewire. Set the camera up on a tripod. Turn off the lights and camcorder whatever it is you want. After this I would hook the camera up to a computer and capture the video to your hard drive. I would then use a video editor like Vegas Video and edit whatever I would like. After editing I would render the video stream to Mpeg2. Then I would use some type of DVD software which will automaticly turn the files into the neccesary .vobs and burn it to disk.

Comment

• wedge1
      • Dec 2004

doesnt this method have its technical limitations such as flicker and a central "hot" spot of intensity, not to mention offset error?

Comment

• Korak
        • Nov 2004

8mm to DVD

Video is 30 frames per second while film is 24 fps. This means when you capture the image off the wall/screen the image will flicker because some of the video frames will be taking pictures while the shutter is covering part/all of the frame.

In order to compensate for the flicker you will need a variable speed projector so you can increase the speed of the motor. With a slight increase in speed – approximately 10% – you can match the frame rate of the videocam and the flicker goes away. The only drawback is your video will be also be slightly faster.

The other alternative is to take the film to a professional and have them do it for you. They have special equipment to do a 3:2 pull down of the film as it is being transferred to video; same process they use for the Hollywood-produced stuff. The downside of this is the cost; it is not cheap.

Comment

Working...