X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Gordian Knot Installation query

Finished installing this software, but still unable to open any DVD2AVI project file (.d2v). Says I need the MPEG2DEC.dll file. So where do I find it? The GK installation file did not come with such file or maybe just did not install it into my computer. Either case, I can't do a thing.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

you will find the dll at doom9

Last edited by UncasMS; 2 Mar 2002, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Thanks, Uncas.

One more question though. What advantages (and disadvantages) that GK offers over Nandub?

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

GK is sort of a gui that lets you take control of all settings (like cropping/resizing/bitrate......)

having done all this gk hands over the parameters to nandub for transcoding

i really appreciate the cropping/resizing part and save avs through GK

what i DO NOT like is the fact that gk only makes use of divx3 NOT M$ V2 codec!

from my personal experience, v2 is much more reliable in terms of preventing macroblockglitches and frozen frames compared to divx3. thus i have not used anything else than V2 for month (after all, V2 is the original which was hacked by gej and called divx3).

so in the end there is not much difference apart from the way you make your settings and the codec one can use.

the way i make my avis is roughly this:

-ripping: sr 2.41

-dvd2avi 1.76 => create a project file

-open this d2v in GK and use the RESOLUTION part of GK to crop and resize

-saving my avs (avisynth script) from within gk's preview window

-open avs in nandub and using all the settings (which you might find screenshot on in my guide) to create the avi file

-extracting audio using vob2audio, saving to wav

-enhancing (normalizing + increasing sound level) with wavelab

-mux audio + video with vd_vbr_mp3 or nandub (in case i want two audio streams in my avi)
        -splitting the avi using the same tool as above

-scanning for frozen frames: vd_vbr_mp3(no other tool can do this)

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

I tried the GK a bit more after installing the codec. Is there a deinterlace option somewhere in GK? I don't like the idea of cropping & resizing first in GK and then deinterlacing in Nandub (It should always be deinterlace first, in my experience). That always gives terrible-looking results.

I'll give GK another shot once I'm finished with what's being encoded currently.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

(i consider some de-interlacing filters better for certain cases [area based from gunnar thalin or telecide by donald graft -though i think the decomb.dll is based on grafts filter - but thats another story)

when you save your avs file in the gk-preview window, you will find the de-interlacing options.

Comment

Working...