Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerryger
    • Dec 2004

DVD Labels

I have read many posts regarding the use of labels on DVD's and I never wanted to believe that a simple thin label could cause so many problems for so many people........until now

I have had skipping problems on all my dvd's from day 1 and I always looked towards the hardware, media, and burning software as the culprits. I have tried numerouus software upgrades, hardware changes, etc. to no avail.

I burned a DVD the other day and did not put a label on it and the movie played flawlessly. I watched it a 2nd time the next day and it played flawlessly. So I decided to put a label on it. Well, the movie played and then eventually skipped and ultimately froze. So I took the DVD out and removed the label (luckily it peeled off very easily) and put it back in. The movie picked up right where it had froze before and played flawlessly for the rest of the movie.

It is safe to say that I will no longer be labeling my DVD's and I will no longer doubt the people who suggest that labeling a DVD is a bad idea.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Sometimes you SHOULD believe what you read ;>}

Balance and reflectivity are most often negatively affected by placing labels on DVDs...

Comment

• TRI0N
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Dec 2004

Labels causing problems? Thats a new one. Not sure how a DVD player at normal spin rate can cause such a problem unless your using something real cheep.

I would recommend HP DVD+R's since it will eliminate and reflectiveness problems that might occure because HP DVD+R covers the whole label side with their own printed covers.

Balance at 1x Play speed does not seem to be duely noted to cause a problem unless your Reader is real cheap where its hardware isn't very stable enough to keep a CD steady at play speed.
      Last edited by TRI0N; 20 Dec 2004, 03:46 PM.
      Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• TRI0N
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Dec 2004

Also....

Don't Apply your Labels to your DVD+/-Rx's Until you have Burned them.

I can see where if your had a label on a Blank that where it wasn't percise that it might cause an imbalance at high speed. But this should'nt be a problem with reading them in play mode.
        Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

although it may appear now that a DVD player can play a recordable DVD with a label, over a period of time, it puts alot of strain on the DVD player's laser itself, greatly reducing the life expectancy of the DVD player.

Comment

Working...