Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaketheflake
    • Dec 2004

Can't play burned disc on standalone player

I use DVD Shrink to eliminate everything but the main title, all languages other than english (5.1 when avialable), the acknowledgements at the end and then compress to fit on a DVD-5. Works great, but the only way I can play a burned disc is on the computer using Power DVD or WinDVD. Standalone DVD players don't recognize the disk.

I figure it has something to do with the IFO files, but I haven't figured a fix yet. I'm looking at Ifoedit as a possibility, but figured someone else has had the same problem in the past. Any help?
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

First, you need to check and see if what type of media is compatible with your stand alone DVD player? -R / -RW ? +R/+RW?

You can do this by clicking the orange link at the bottom of my post.

Comment

• jaketheflake
      • Dec 2004

jmet,

Thanks for the quick response.

If only life were so simple. Unfortunately, the standalone is a Sony DVP C600D, which is compatible with both DVD-R and DVD+R. I have been burning DVD-R with Roxio's Easy DVD Creator 6. I read the archives and that's when I thought it might be the media, so I burned one on a DVD+R and that didn't work either. That's when I came up with the idea it might be the IFO, since I eliminated some of the features with DVD Shrink.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

" have been burning DVD-R with Roxio's Easy DVD Creator 6."

You might want to try switching to NERO for burning (in "DVD-Video" mode). If you do so, UNinstall the Roxio software first, as the two programs do NOT "peacefully coexist" on the same system...

Comment

• jaketheflake
          • Dec 2004

That works. So much for Roxio's Easy DVD Creator 6.

I also did a little excercise with IFOedit where you "load any of the IFO files that are to be on your final disc, then press Get VTS sectors. This will adjust all IFO files and overwrite the old ones with the adjusted ones." prior to burning it using NERO.

Tonight I'm going to try just burning DVD Shrink results without the extra step with IFOedit and see how that works.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanks for the advice."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• acolville
              • Jan 2005

Playing DVD's

I have found that all the DVD's play on modern DVD players but if they are older that about 3 years, there are problems with recognizing the disc.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To acolville

1) Your observation should have been posted as a "New thread", since it is not a response or confirmation of the problem raised in this thread

2) DVD players of three years or older (as you mention) were undoubtedly never equipped to recognize BURNED media - only commercial, pressed media

Comment

Working...