Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 00diabolic
    • Jan 2005

Question about Ac3 audio vs mp3

I have been encoding my moviez with mp3 audio for as long as i can remember. I know all the tricks when it comes to video. Yet audio has always been mp3.

Recently I got ahold of a ac3 audio movie and was shocked that the quality of video was amazing and the audio was ac3. I figured ac3 had to be huge cuz thats whats on dvd's. So I started testing and found ac3machine, ac3enc.dll, and besweet (which I had used with gknot before) and discovered I could make an ac3 that was 128kps and was the exact same size as my audio in mp3 format. That blew my mind. 5.1 Ch 128kps audio same size as mp3 2 ch.

Then I read that 5.1ch below 224 is not worth doing, for whatever reason. At 224 that audio was twice as big, no good.

So my question is this. Is ac3 5.1 128kps audio better then mp3 2ch audio that I have been using for years.

I have a 5.1 ch system and from what I can hear the 5.1 sounds good in 128kps. So what am I missing. Is it better then mp3 or not?

Any help would be great. THX
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I believe the .AC3 audio used in most XviD videos is 2 channel, not 5.1...

Comment

• 00diabolic
      • Jan 2005

not that i have seen

actually the ones i have gotten have all been 5.1 ch ac3. I just got taking lives and its 5.1 also.

Yet the question presists.

Which is better Ac3 128 5.1 or 2ch mp3 at 128?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I just got taking lives and its 5.1 also"

Discussion of anything to do with copies of commercial movies that you haven't purchased is a violation of the rules of these forums...

Comment

• 00diabolic
          • Jan 2005

OOPS

I thought you were not supposed to mention sources.

SORRY ABOUT THAT! Won't happen again.

As for the reference I have been making about going below 224kbits is from doom9.

"Set whatever bitrate you see fit. Going below 224kbit/s for a 5.1ch AC3 doesn't make much sense and going above the input bitrate doesn't make any sense either."

Really waht I wanna know is why going below 224 is bad? And at what point is ac3 audio in 5.1 worse then mp3 2 ch at the same bitrate?

Comment

• 00diabolic
            • Jan 2005

no one knows...

No one knows why going below 224kps in ac3 format is bad?

If anyone can explain why that would be great.

Am i loosing something going below 224kps. and is that loss greater then if I had it in mp3 format. Or is any ac3 better then mp3?

THX

Comment

Working...